Premed 101 Forums

more MD/PhD

Guest RageoftheDragon

Guest NurseEpi

If one applies to the MD/PhD program and for one reason or another are not considered competitive for the MD program, is it possible that one would still be offered admission to the PhD program on its own (i.e., is it all or nothing??)

Guest blinknoodle

Considering you don't actually apply to any PhD program (as you do with Western), I don't think you'd be offered a PhD position. You're better off to apply directly to the grad program you are interested in.

-blinknoodle

Guest CornuAmmonis

The simple answer is no.

Basically the MD/PhD program is its own program, separate from MD program and separate from the PhD program.

Being accepted into the MD/PhD program and not accepted to the MD program is very unlikely. As far as I know that only happened to one or two students.

Guest RageoftheDragon

I'm just wondering if the interviews for U of T MD/PhD have reache a point that those of us still waiting should lose hope. I saw one post that indicated publications/abstracts have large weighting with the committee. I've done tonnes of lab @#%$ work, and not gotten very far with it, much to my chagrin, but have not yet been funded for some (what I consider) great ideas thanks to my undergrad status. If the U of T MD/PhD admissions is that shortsighted, their loss.

RotD

> Being accepted into the MD/PhD program and not accepted

> to the MD program is very unlikely. As far as I know that

> only happened to one or two students.

It's not just unlikely, it's not done at U of T. Acceptance to the MD/PhD program is contingent upon acceptance to the MD program.

> I'm just wondering if the interviews for U of T MD/PhD have

> reache a point that those of us still waiting should lose

As far as I know, tomorrow's interviews are the final MD/PhD interviews. You could always email the MD/PhD office to get confirmation yourself, though.

> hope. I saw one post that indicated publications/abstracts

> have large weighting with the committee. I've done tonnes

If you're talking about the post that listed the three "criteria" for the MD/PhD program, it didn't reflect any true criteria as far as I can tell. I really wouldn't trust it at all.

> of lab @#%$ work, and not gotten very far with it, much to

> my chagrin, but have not yet been funded for some (what I

> consider) great ideas thanks to my undergrad status. If the

> U of T MD/PhD admissions is that shortsighted, their loss.

They aren't. Many people who are accepted have few publications and many who are rejected have many publications.

Archived