Premed 101 Forums

Med School Symposium

Guest Aidan

Hey, anybody else planning on going to the med school admissions symposium at OISE/UT on Wednesday? I thought it would be a good opportunity to brush up on the policies/character or each school before interviews. Just wondering if any familiar posters will be there.

Guest Elaine I

I wasn't able to find out any information about this event on the U of T websites, looking either at OISE or Medicine. Will you please post the particulars?

Thanks,

Elaine

Hi, I'm new to this board, and I'm finding it very helpful! It's nice to know that I'm not alone in my suspense waiting for interviews.

I haven't heard anything about this symposium, would you be able to post some details...what exactly it is, where and what time?

thanks, and good luck everyone

Sorry, I should have posted the info originally. I went last year, and it was extremely informative. Each school sent one or more reps to give a presentation and answer questions about their medical program. It only happens in two places in Canada -- UBC and UofT -- so if you're in Toronto, I'd highly recommend going.

Here's the link:

hbsu.sa.utoronto.ca

And here's the info:

The Human Biology Students' Union is proud to present...

The Seventh Annual Medical School Symposium

Wednesday, February 4, 2004

5 PM - 10 PM

OISE Auditorium, OI-G162 (252 Bloor St. W.)

(corner of Bedford Rd. and Bloor St., near the Tim Horton's)

FREE FOOD WILL BE PROVIDED!

The event will feature representatives from:

McMaster University

Northern Ontario Medical School (NOMS)

University of Ottawa

Queen's University

University of Toronto

University of Western Ontario

Come out and learn about each university's program! Get your questions answered! Get free food

Guest Stephen

Hi guys,

I'm Stephen, the Marketing Director and Webmaster of the Human Biology Students' Union. I've posted a thread about the Medical School Symposium in the OMSAS forum, in order to reach people who may not check the Toronto forum (and also since the event includes representatives from all Ontario med schools, and not just the University of Toronto):

pub125.ezboard.com/fpreme...=635.topic

I'm glad to see that our efforts at spreading word of this event are succeeding. As Aidan mentioned, the UofT and UBC are the only two universities in Canada who organize medical symposia. Medical school representatives come to speak about their specific programs and universities, and answer any questions that students may have. Also, we have invited both Princeton Review and Kaplan to come to speak about their MCAT preparation courses.

In addition, we'll be having FREE FOOD for all those who attend! Pizza (both vegetarian and meat) and drinks! I hope to see you guys there, and remember to tell your friends about the event!

Guest Elaine I

Thanks for the information! Can those who are not U of T students attend? I'm happy to pay the non-member fee, but don't want to get turned away at the door!

Thanks,

Elaine

Guest CornuAmmonis

Hi,

please read the thread posted on the OMSAS forum...it says, and I quote:

"Regretfully, we can open up the event only to all U of T students (including those at the St. George, Erindale and Scarborough campuses) due to the rules and regulations of the U of T."

Elaine,

Truly, honestly, I don't think they're going to check what university you're from. As far as I remember, they didn't check last year -- I think the HBSU people assume were all UofTers! Plus, that autidorium is HUGE -- I can hold all of us.

If I were you, and I wanted to come, I would. And if they ask for your T-Card, just smile and say you forgot it!

P.S. I hope I'm not causing you any trouble, Stephen! :P:D

Guest Stephen

Hi Elaine,

Officially, the rules of U of T unfortunately prevent us from allowing non-UofT students into the event. It has something to do with the hidden fees in our tuition and supplementary fees that enable us to join clubs and attend events at the U of T. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

This sounds like an interesting event (cheers for hosting it, HBSU :) ), and I may jaunt over to attend. What sorts of issues were covered last year? I had a quick look at the HBSU webiste and didn't spot an agenda for the five hours. Is it a five-hour Q&A period? Does each representative have an allotted amount of time to deliver a wee speech about their school? For those who attended last year did you find the session illuminating?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Stephen can probably correct me if I'm wrong.. what happens is each med school gets an allotted period of time. Within that time there's a presentation as well as a Q&A period.

In terms of "agenda" the order of presenting medical schools is:

Western

Ottawa/Mac (not sure which order, Stephen can clear that up)

Queens

NOMS

Toronto

Guest Stephen

Yup, 0T6 is right, each school gets an allotted period of time to present their school and their program, followed by a brief Q&A period after each presentation. You can also approach the representatives during the intermission, and at the end of the symposium.

Here's the order of presenting med schools:

1. University of Western Ontario

2. University of Ottawa

3. McMaster University

4. [Kaplan]

** INTERMISSION **

5. [Princeton Review]

6. Queen's University

7. Northern Ontario Medical School

8. University of Toronto

Each medical school will get about 40 minutes to present and answer questions.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey guys,

Glad to see that the Med Symposium is running again this year! Last year I was the sole representative from my school (UWO) and I had a blast! I got to meet the other admissions bigwigs from the other schools (Ottawa and Western sent only a single student representative each, so we had an immediate bond!), we got treated to a free, upscale and classy dinner at this really nice eating establishment on U of T campus and we were treated like royalty!

At the symposium, each school was given about 40 or so minutes to "strut their stuff" if you will, and for me it was in the form of a powerpoint presentation featuring pertinent statistics, descriptions and demographics of the UWO Medical program- ie: what you need to get in, where our class is drawn from, why you want to come to UWO, etc. It was a bit nerve-wracking to speak in front of so many people (that's one big auditorium!), but once I got started, everything was gravy and it turned out to be a lot of fun- the audience even laughed at my stupid little jokes throughout the presentation, which was an added bonus. Heck, I even got to help myself to some free leftover pizza at the end of the night for the long drive back to London- how sweet is that!

Regrettably I can't go this year (stupid exams!), but I'd highly recommend the symposium to anyone who is interested in attending medical school in the future!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest Stephen

This is just a reminder that the Medical School Symposium will be held tomorrow, from 5 PM - 10 PM, in the Auditorium of the OISE Building right beside the Tim Horton's near St. George station.

Come out and get some information about the med schools you're interested in! Pick up a copy of our Medical Schools Information Booklet, containing admissions information for all the medical schools in Canada! Best of all ;) , get some free pizza and drinks! :rollin

See you there!

Guest mydream88

I have posted a question as well in the OMSAS section but I will reiterate it here:

will the school's mainly be discussing the requirements for admissions, curriculum? What other issues in the past have been discussed?

thanks,

mydream88:)

Guest Stephen

Hi mydream88:

I've responded to your message in the other thread.

Once again, thanks to all who attended the event. I hope you found it informative!! And don't forget the free pizza and drinks!!! :D

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Yes, well done with the event. :D That was quite the crowd in attendance and it was good to see some real faces and hear some real voices of the various admissions offices.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest mydream88

Dear all,

I was wondering, for those of you that did attend the med school symposium, if you could share what kind of information was discussed regarding U of T.

so sad I wasn't there,

mydream88:(

Archived