Premed 101 Forums

Info about interviews for Out of Province Students

Guest yameater

Guest yameater

Hi everyone,

I got my interview invitation a week ago for Mar. 28th (the letter was dated Feb. 2nd so I'm grateful for the 8 weeks notice to book a flight and arrange accomodations/billeting). I had a couple of questions regarding out of province student interviews:

(i) Does Toronto have a "student shadow" program? I'd like to follow around a 1st year med student for a day before my interview to check out the lectures, the campus, and how the curriculum is delivered.

(ii) What is the process for "billeting"? Are out-of-province students requesting billeting just paired with U of T students for the weekend who will provide us free accomodation during our interview? I just wanted some background info before I e-mailed the billeting coordinators or registered for this...

(iii) Does anyone have stats of interviewed/accepted applicants by the province? I'm from a small Vancouver suburb in BC and I'm wondering if that's a rarity...

Any insight would help greatly. Thanks!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there yameater,

Congratulations on your UofT interview. :D

With respect to geography, UofT does not discriminate. All applicants from all regions of Canada are treated equally in the selection process.

As to statistics, last year's class of 198 students was composed of 25 individuals from provinces other than Ontario, 6 from the USA and 1 from an international university.

Cheers, and good luck on your interview,

Kirsteen

Guest bluesky125

Hi,

Congratulations! U of T does not have a official "student shadow" program. However, we do have a billeting program. Normally, you are either paired with first or second year students for the weekend who will provide free accommodation. Just emailed the billeting coordinators (I think their contacts are provided with your interview package). If not, just post and I can find out for you.

p.s. If you will like to shadow a med student for a day, I think the best way to approach it still is through the billeting coordinators. I remembered one of my classmate brought his billet student to class and it was great fun trying to figure out who he was.

Best of luck!

Guest yameater

Hi Kirsteen and bluesky125,

Thank you so much for all your info and good advice! :)

I'll totally contact the billet coordinators and hopefully my billet person will allow me to follow them around for a day :D

P.S. Good luck with your interviews, too, Kirsteen--I noticed you got invited to UBC as well (Congrats! That's a pretty impressive feat for a non-BC student). Please let me know if you have any questions about UBC or Vancouver that I might be able to help you with--that's where I am right now! ;)

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there yameater,

You're welcome, and thanks very much. I assume the Vancouver weather these days is a little more temperate than our -15C this weekend. :)

Good luck with your interviews!

Kirsteen

Archived