Premed 101 Forums

Graduate productivity

Guest Kirsteen

Guest mydream88

Ollie,

don't be upset or mad :( >: . I beleive that your interpretation is perhaps the correct one after rereading the letter. As long as you followed the instructions, you will be golden (I hope ;) )

dont' worry, be happy :D

mydream88

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Makunouchi

Ollie: Should be fine what you've done.

(In any case, if people followed the instructions laid out in the OMSAS booklet, they would have sent entire papers.)

Good luck.

Guest mydream88

ok I have a stupid question:

at the bottom of my resume I normally include computer skills i.e. able to program in SAS, etc....do you guys think this information is appropriate to include on a cv for tomorrow's (FAST APPROACHING) submission?

mydream88:\

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I just returned from the UofT Medical Sciences Building after dropping off my graduate productivity package. (You'll be able to tell that I don't get in there that often any more), but what the heck are they doing to the Stone Lobby? Are they adding something new and fabulous, such as a little Libeskind, ROM-like addition? :)

Also, when I actually dropped the documentation off, the Admissions Offices were packed. A Purolator courier guy was in there dropping off a pile of packages and the secretary pointed to all the boxes of packages on the floor. Yikes! At least we don't have to do the filing. ;) Incidentally, she noted that the amount and quality of work from the graduate applicants this year is tremendous.

Cheers, and good luck all,

Kirsteen

Guest mydream88

Well, I hope that you all survived yesterday's dealine and are letting the stresses unravel over the weekend:) ! I swear I handed in my package at 4:15. Wow, stress really doesn't quite describe what I felt this week :eek ! I was hoping so much to meet some of you there, oh well, maybe next time ;) . And what exactly is up with all that construction? Perhaps that huge lobby of the medical sciences building is going to be packed in with a cafeteria? I wasn't paying very much attention as I was in such a state. Well, I hope you are all releived that the bid is finally OUT of our hands. Now we wait, and wait, and wait...

have a great night,

mydream88:D ;)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

One thing that's positive is that the wait for a UofT response is not necessarily that long. UofT often sends interview invitations (or rejections :eek ) out in February. There may be an even stronger possibility of early invitations this year given the relatively early interview weekends, i.e., none scheduled in May.

Also, I got the feeling that UofT would not be reviewing the graduate files until after January 23rd. Firstly, it's going to take them a bit to sort through all that paperwork. Secondly, when I spoke with Bill Gregg yesterday he noted that most UofT marks from the fall would not be entered in ROSI until January 23rd, and since these are taken into consideration...

Cheers and good luck all,

Kirsteen

Guest mydream88

Hi guys,

So, I realized that there are some punctuation errors on my CV. YIKES :eek . As in, I capatalized Colitis, and didn't leave a space between "to a", and left bookkeeping as book-keeping. WHAT DO I DO? There are no flagrant spelling errors but some formatting and the above is sub par. shall I call u of T and mention that I made a mistake and handed in a draft of my CV or just leave it so to not turn attention on the matter? I am freaked out.

mydream88

p.s. thanks for the infor Kirsteen, hopefully we will find out sooner rather than later, no matter what the outcome.

Guest Adamanda

mydream,

Don't stress, your errors are very minor. I would just leave them and not draw more attn to them by contacting u of T. I doubt they allow ammendments after the deadline anyways.

On a side note..did you do research aout colitis? I am very interested in IBD research?

Regards

Adamanda

Guest mydream88

Hi Adamanda,

I hope everything is well :) No, I did not do colitis research unfortunately. I was involved in fundraising for Crohn's disease and colitis research however :) .

thanks for the pep talk, hopefully the errors will be overlooked (please please:( :rolleyes ).

mydream88

Guest mydream88

Dear all,

Hello :D . I was just wondering if you would care to speculate if the admissions committee starts going through our stuff immediately, i.e. are they reading them now :eek 8o . I have a feeling that for those of us who have completed our degree, they do not have to wait to receive updated transcripts and thus may go ahead and start 'deliberating'.

just wondering,

mydream88

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I think someone provided some information before, noting that graduate applications are randomly placed in piles and then scored relative to the other applications in the piles. If UofT are truly trying to be random, then it would be less of a random process to group the applications according to who has a complete file, i.e., no pending transcripts (typically, PhD students and second year Masters), and who has not.

Overall though, it's tough to say. When I spoke with Bill Gregg a few weeks back, when dropping off my application (actually, that was ONLY last week--time apparently flies ;) ) he noted that fall marks for UofT courses would not be available on ROSI until today. Therefore, it seems that they're quite cognizant of such dates and perhaps that's telling in terms of how they group the applications or when they actually begin the review process. In terms of pure economies of scale, it would probably be more efficient for them to wait until all information has been received and then begin reviewing them.

All hypothesizing aside, they'll be reviewed shortly. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AliatUofT

Hi guys

i am just wondering if anyone knows anything about whether or not published manuscripts are regarded as more productive than abstracts and presentations.

the reason why i ask this is because my supervisor will not allow any of our work to be submitted to meetings before we have a manuscript ready and submitted. as the result in my 2 and half years of my grad work i have not submitted any abstracts to any meetings. however given that i have published quiet a bit, over the last year and i am waiting for to submit my abstracts for next year.

i have 2 first author publications already and 2 more submitted one to JACC and one more to diabetes. i also have a whole bunch of co-authorships that are either published, submitted and in revision...

so do u guys think the fact that i have no abstracts or presentations as a grad student is going to work against me???????

Guest Makunouchi

Hello,

I think having manuscripts published in peer-reviewed journals is an important aspect of graduate productivity. Going through the process of submitting and revising research papers does, as you know, require a lot of work.

Abstracts are not reviewed as stringently. However, presenting your research at conferences shows that you are also able to communicate your research orally to people of different backgrounds.

Guest Scottish Chap

AliatUofT,

There is absolutely no comparison between manuscripts and abstracts. Abstracts require 1/50th of the effort and time and, in the SCIENTIFIC community, they sadly count for absolutely zero in terms of proving productivity (as do review articles). The review process is nowhere near as stringent and the claims made do not need to be as clearly defined. Please note: this is if the author is involved in FULL-TIME research. Abstracts, in isolation, are useful to give appropriate credit if a student spent only a little time in a particular area of research.

Actually, abstracts ARE counted as evidence of scientific productivity amoung quite diverse, if perhaps not all, areas of the "scientific community". Particularly abstracts already presented at recognizable, international meetings (Society for Neuroscience, Hypertension, AACR, IASP etc). In lieu of a published manuscript, they that the bearer has contributed meaningfully to an ongoing and currently active research project/prgram.

I have been on commities where abstracts were examined to verify and demonstrate scientific productivity - not taken lightly at that. I have also seen the results of peer-review for personnel awards at the national level which directly referred to abstracts and presentations on individuals' CVs as evidence of their productivity.

How medical school admissions comittees deal with abstracts may be very different, but in my experience, scientists looking at trainees/students WILL take abstracts into account as an entity unto themselves, but nevertheless clear evidence of productivity.

Guest AliatUofT

Hi guys

i am sure abstracts and manuscripts are both looked as part of the productivity portion. however i guess i am just worried about my lack of submitted abstracts and presentations at major meetings.

given that UofT of asking for a section of abstracts, i am just not sure how they will look at my blank sections:lol

i hope the manuscripts make up for it

thats all i can say

cheers

ali

Guest Scottish Chap

I was fearful that my post would touch a raw nerve, so I tried to write diplomatically and honestly. I guess I didn't do a good job. I'm sorry, but I stand by what I write; abstracts are NOT meaningless but, when they are compared to applicants that have accepted manuscripts, the abstracts' value are substantially diminished and that’s a frank fact. A manuscript is far more evidence of productivity, although it’s obviously not an direct index of ability; some projects are harder than others. I won't post on something that I'm not absolutely confident about.

Please remember that this IS a medical school admission committee and not a scientific committee, even if PhD’s are on the panel, so the rules are not as clear-cut and emphasis is distributed differently. Almost every researcher has a section on their cv for abstracts and for manuscripts - I'll bet (and I have no inside knowledge) this is why U of T asks for it.......everyone does, and it'll be for consistency. AliatUofT, if you have manuscripts, you're set. Don't worry. :D The abstract will only mean something IF you have no manuscripts ON THE SAME TOPIC in preparation, under review, or in revision. Academically, we are talking about copper and gold when comparing the two.

Guest chriskim23

Hi,

I am currently in my last year and did apply to meds this year, as well graduate school.

Just say that I get into grad school for September 2004, can I still apply to meds the same year, meaning in October 2004 or whenever the deadline is?

Or, will I have to wait until I am finishing my grad degree to apply.

Thanks,

CK

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

UofT (and Ottawa) stipulate that only applicants who are in the second year of a two-year graduate program may be considered for admission. Therefore, technically you can apply, but your application may not go too far. :rolleyes

You might want to check the policy at other schools across the country, if you're eyeing any of them. They may not be as stringent with their graduate applicant policy.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

UBC requires grad students to submit their theses by july in order to start med in august. Some schools will grant a deferral in order to complete a graduate degree. UBC is usually very strict about this and does not normally grant deferrals.

Archived