Premed 101 Forums

Funded Studentship vs. NSERC

brady23

Is there a difference between a research award (ex: NSERC) which explicitly lists the $ amount of the award vs. a studentship?

A studentship I am interested in applying for is competitive and is funded. However, I know NSERC explicitly lists the $ amount of the award, while a studentship doesn't (even though you will be paid full time for 12 weeks - which is $6750).

I know when listing awards, sometimes it requires you to list a $ value to them - so I am not sure how to go about this. 

• brady23 changed the title to Funded Studentship vs. NSERC

I'm kind of confused what it is that you're asking as well...

Generally, studentships for summer research work and the NSERC USRA are virtually the same thing (i.e. in Alberta we have an Alberta Innovates Summer Studentship). Most often, students apply for all the studentships they can, and then accept the one that pays the best if they're offered multiple. In some cases, they may even allow you to 'top-up' your earnings and collect both (up to a certain dollar value). If you're awarded more than one, even if you are only able to accept one, you can (and should) list both on your CV.

If you aren't talking about listing it on your CV (should you receive it), then we are going to need more information so your question can actually be answered.

22 hours ago, Eudaimonia said:

It's my understanding that they're the same thing. Are you asking how to put them in your CV (in which case you could state the amounts even if the studentship doesn't explicitly say it online) or which is more competitive for something? 

16 hours ago, adhominem said:

I'm kind of confused what it is that you're asking as well...

Generally, studentships for summer research work and the NSERC USRA are virtually the same thing (i.e. in Alberta we have an Alberta Innovates Summer Studentship). Most often, students apply for all the studentships they can, and then accept the one that pays the best if they're offered multiple. In some cases, they may even allow you to 'top-up' your earnings and collect both (up to a certain dollar value). If you're awarded more than one, even if you are only able to accept one, you can (and should) list both on your CV.

If you aren't talking about listing it on your CV (should you receive it), then we are going to need more information so your question can actually be answered.

Thank you both - yeah I was just wondering for the purposes of CARMS and listing it on the CARMS CV! I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to list a $ amount even though the studentship funds you for the summer. 

On 4/5/2019 at 8:43 PM, Lactic Folly said:

Do people list dollar amounts of awards on their CaRMS CV? Didn't think that was a common practice.

I agree with this. If adding a descriptor at all, I would likely just list the competition. Most people reviewing applications have a sense of what NSERC and common studentships are. It probably doesn't matter what information you include about this either way, just make sure your CV reads well and doesn't have too many excessive details to read through. 

Archived