Premed 101 Forums

chance of getting in with a 3.6 gpa

Guest thecod

Guest thecod

what is the acutal chance of getting into u of t med. after 3 years of university with a gpa of 3.6? other than grad. students, does anyone actually get in with such a gpa? i know there's a chance, but what is a more realistic gpa in getting accepted after 3 years of university?

Guest Ollie

There isn't really an answer to your question because admission is so dependent on your personal situation and the other aspects of your application. There are people with lower GPA's admitted before those with higher GPA's so clearly there was something else in their application that impressed the AdCom. Of course the highest GPA possible is always better but it doesn't guarantee anything. Take a look at the accepted/rejected/waitlisted thread to see some stats

Guest gonzo23

Don't be intimidated by high GPAs. For all the highs there have to be some moderates and lows as well.

Focus on other areas aside from your GPA because a good interview can mean a lot. They won't be asking you about each class you took and the high grades you got once you reach the interview and you'll have to be ready to back up your choices and evaluate your character.

Guest CTU24

i agree with this being a tough question to answer, but i will try to give you my honest opinion.

GPA is a big deal, but the essay, sketch, and references all make up a significant part of the pre-interview score. The problem for 3rd years with a GPA at the lower end of the scale is that their age and lack of world experience usually also results in lower autobio scores too. Compounded with the low GPA this spells trouble. What gives older (even 4th year) students the advantage is more maturity and life experience, which allows them to compensate for a lower GPA to get an interview invite. The interview, as always, is the great eqaulizer, so it's fair game from there.

Of course, this is a broad generalization...i know lots of 3rd years, with a great non-academic record. It is just in general 3rd years IMO, need a higher GPA to be get an interview b/c of the life expereince meds require. Of course, without life expereince and maturity even a 4.0 3rd year will be rejected post interview, the trick is getting to the interview stage

Hope that helped,

CTU24

Archived