Premed 101 Forums

cell phone plan?

Guest gonzo23

Guest gonzo23

Hi guys,

I am shopping around for a new cell phone carrier and I wanted to know if any current UT students were aware of any special deals out there for students in Toronto? One of my friends just signed on with a UT corporate plan with Bell (just from working a summer job) and it's a sweet deal. Just thought I'd make sure I'm not missing any hidden offers there might be before I sign on for 1-3 years :) Do companies come around over frosh week to target the students at all with some enticing offers?

Thanks!

Guest Elaine I

The Bell corporate plan is an excellent deal - that's the one I'm on. However, beware, that the plan can change at any time (without notice), and you are still committed to the length of your contract. You can change to another plan, but they may not be as good of deals.

Specific to the above plan, a couple of times they dropped the included evenings and weekends, and I was not notified. When I called Bell Mobility, I was told that it was up to my corporation (city of Toronto) to notify me of changes to the plan, and that the fine print of my contract said they could re-negotiate with the city at any time, and make plan adjustments.

Just something to think about...

Elaine

Guest peachy

Wow, thanks for the link, chickenlump! I was already planning to switch to CityFido; why not get a free DVD player while I'm at it! :)

Guest gonzo23

Wow. Thanks Carebear... I was going to go with Fido as well since they are breaking new ground with the City Fido plan. But now that I hear this I might reconsider.

Cheers.

Guest chickenlump

Between my friend and I, we have tried all the services (Bell, Fido, Telus, Rogers)

and Telus and Fido seems to have the best coverage downtown, the worst is rogers.

Fido has a bad rep for reception from back when their service was just taking off, but nowadays, they're pretty good in the GTA area.

Guest CareBear15

I forgot to say that Toronto-wise all the phone companies are pretty good... but still I NEVER got reception with Fido in my lab at York U. If you ever travel 2-3 hours out of the city to the cottage or if you're going to Hamilton or Kingston or something, get Telus because you will be cut off with Fido. I remember getting caught in a t-storm in Kingston to find out I had no service on my phone. I was pretty upset.

I also had originally signed up with studentphonestore.com to get my Fido plan. A few weeks later I got a mass e-mail from them saying there was some kind of security leak... anyways I'm sure they have fixed all their problems by now and they are a good company trying to get deals for students but I think with them you win some and lose some.

I don't mean to be a cell phone provider basher, but honestly you're paying good money and you should be able to get reception everywhere. I personally would never go with Bell, they are always out to rip people off. All their plans sound good on the surface and if you read the fine print it's always a disappointment. As for Rogers... their cable stinks and I will never go back to them for any service.

So for me, Telus is the lesser of four evils. Good luck!

Guest peachy

That really sucks about Kingston and Fido, CareBear15. I am currently having a similar experience with Telus. I'm spending a month at Memorial, which is in St. John's, Newfoundland, and the coverage map on their website clearly shows that St. John's is a digital coverage area.

However, this is a big, huge lie--I haven't been able to find digital coverage once anywhere that I've gone in the city. And, okay, it's not like I come to Newfoundland very often. But if their map is completely lying about this area, what else is it lying about?

[ Plus, and I know this is frivolous, but their website is terrible. I absolutely can't stand how it is constantly opening new windows and repeatedly asking me which province I am from... ]

Guest nextstopmd

That's really weird peachy... I'm a Telus client and I have relatives in St. John's so I've been there a couple times in the past year or so. Both times I had digital service and even got a couple of emails on my phone. Maybe it has something to do with having different phones, but I really have no idea.

Archived