<threadtitle>Confidence post-waiting list/rejections?</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>CalicoKal</username>

<dateline>1086295140</dateline>

<title>Confidence post-waiting list/rejections?</title>

<pagetext>Hi...

I've heard back from the three places I interviewed and got one rejection and two wait lists. I feel like my confidence is totally shot and am feeling pretty sad and pathetic. Of the people on this board who have tried multple times, how did you stay positive? I know I'll reapply if nothing pans out with the wait list--that's a given--but I'm worried I've lost my drive... I know I want this badly, but I didn't think I'd be so fragile upon hearing the less than stellar news... Anyone feel similarly or have any advice on how to stay positive for the next go?

Guest interviewed

Hi Calico,

Hang in there! I knew exactly how you feel since I have also heard back from 3 schools with 2 waitlist and 1 rejection. The last couple of weeks has been particularly rough as the news slowly trickled in. I was practically paralyzed and couldn't bring myself to do much other than watch tv and eat (is that depression?). Anyway, I know it is incredibly tough especially when our futures are so uncertain. Another year of applications seem like torture right now.

But guess what! I got a good letter from UofT today and that ended all the second-guessing and I regained my confidence. I realized that we are going to hit some obstacles along this path. And the best thing to do is to hang in there and try to occupy yourself. As you have already put your best foot forward and it's no longer in your hands, try your best to relax and live your life.

Guest 2 plus 2 is 4

Hey CalicoKal,

Just want to let you know that you're not alone. I'm also in a similar situation going through similar sentiments, especially with the prospect of going through this rather emotionally draining process once again. If it makes you feel any better, I plan on writing the MCAT again (shudder). I can't really offer you any deep wisdom (I could certainly use some for myself), but hey we got 3 interviews, which is a great accomplishment on its own, not to mention two waitlists (I can practically smell med school from here). Once in a while, I like to remind myself of something that the med schools readily admit - there are more suitable applicants than seats - sometimes a bit of luck does become the deciding factor when the competition is so fierce e.g. getting nice interviewers, being the last person of the day, being compared to relatively 'worse' interviewees before you and after you etc. Moral is we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves. With respect to drive, yeah, I'm concerned about that too. I personally believe that if the desire is there the drive will come back, but you just have to give it time and give yourself a bit of a break to catch your breath.

Guest CalicoKal

Those are helpful. It kind of seems like everyone on these boards got accepted, and it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one feeling the hurt. I keep reminding myself about the luck-factor. A good friend of mine who got into meds last year called it a lottery, and to some extent I have to agree with her entirely. After the interview stage it's a lottery. Hopefully our numbers will come up soon enough and we won't have to go through the process again.

Until then...

CK

Guest 2 plus 2 is 4

Oh I'm willing to bet a pretty penny that there's a whole bunch of rejectees (for lack of better word) and waitlisters who read this forum without posting. Afterall, it's much easier to post your successes than admit you've been unsuccessful and share it with a bunch of strangers.

Come on numbers 2 45 63 55 36 87! (joking, not trying to make a mockery of the system or anything)

Guest thesaug

Hi there,

I thought I'd throw in my two cents here. Last year, I was waitlisted at both UofT and UWO. It was tough when I saw that because I thought I had killed my interviews...and personally I felt I was ready to start medschool rather then return to my engineering degree. At first...for the month of June...i was pretty down on myself...felt like a failure...but that is not the case! During that time, I realized how much I wanted to be in medicine, which only increased my drive and desire. I decided to stop looking backwards and running to the mailbox everyday. I began working on my application for the next year (and took on the task of applying to the States...oh boy...that basically took up my entire summer). I was also involved with research at UofT and helping my family out so it took my mind of things.

As it turned out, I was not accepted by either school, but by the time those letters came, I was already mentally prepared for that and was set on applying again. This year I was fortunate enough to land four Canadian interviews and 3 acceptances (along with a few interviews and acceptances in the states).

What I am trying to say is don't give up on yourself. Being put on the waitlist is not an indication that you are not qualified for medschool. Have faith in yourself. Also, please don't read this and then think "Oh man...there's another person who didnt get off the waitlist". As you must have read and heard countless times, the waitlist at all these schools move because in the end, you can't attend more then one medical school. So just hope for the best, but at the same time start thinking about what you want to do for next year. You can't sit and mope for the next four months...that will feel like hell!

Hope this helped you out! Good luck!

thesaug

Guest CTU24

Hi Calicokal and 2+2=4 (sorry, I improvised),

Without trying to sound condescending, I do kind of know how you felt having been rejected by Mac and ottawa the day before I was accepted to U of T. It was definitely not fun and I truly feel horrible for the both of you.

You must definitely stop thinking that everyone on this board gets accepted. For sure, it is more likely that good news will be posted than bad, which is what impresses me about the both of you. It takes way more guts to post what the both of you did than to post acceptances. I think it shows the character both of you possess, wihch will inevitably aid you both as physicians.

I also agree w/ the parital lottery sentiments, but multiple interviews ain't no fluke. I know it sucks, but if you keep applying the balls will bounce your way (or rather the acceptances will bounce your way...insert Dr. Evil finger here)

Best of luck on the waitlists

--CTU24

Guest ClimbOn

Calicokal and 2+2=4:

I'm in a same situation as you guys. Upon returning from my Europe vacation on the 25th in high spirits, I plunged into a rather depressed state after getting rejected by UBC. In the back of my mind, I knew I didn't do well in that interview, and would probably get rejected, but the news was still hard to swallow. After that, I waited and waited for news from the three other schools I got interviewed at. Yesterday, I received a waitlist letter from UT. People seem to be happy when i tell them about it, but somehow I feel like I am a failure, that I'm not good enough. Usually I'm quite cheerful and optimistic, but now I'm all moody, frustrated, and just plain anxious. I really, really hope that I'll be receiving some good news from UWO and UofA in the very near future. I feel like I'm gonna get an ulcer from being so nervous and tense all the time.

So you're not out there alone. I wish you luck, and that you'll get off that waitlist quickly. As for me, I've got to find the motivation to review my applications, and to find some ways to improve it if I don't "win" in this "lottery".

Lastly, I have to say I really admire and respect people who re-apply after failing to get accepted.

Wish you the best of luck

ClimbOn

Guest Chapsony

Hey All,

I can totally relate to how all of you feel. I too am in the same position. Sometimes I feel like totally giving up. I mean I tried, put my best foot forward and ended up on the losing side. For every good comment you hear here, there are probably 10 people who don't want to talk about their experience (a bad one). That was me until I read all of your posts. I am going to give myself a bit of time to deal with this and then move on and try again next year. ;) So, lets keep our heads high and keep all of us updated about what you are up too.

Looking forward to getting through this, and to all best of luck it will happen someday!!!!!

Sony

Guest coleflower

Wow. It's good to finally (unfortunately) have a post that reflects the way I'm feeling. After 4 interviews, and 3 rejections, I finally called Leslie today to find out what the scoop was at UT, and I was waitlisted.

I went through quite a period of feeling down, but am starting to come out of it, with my energy rekindled for next year's application process. I am not looking forward to the whole process, but in contemplating alternative careers, I'm realizing that the biggest thing I want to do is medicing, so I have to stay the course and work on improving myself.

Good luck to all of you, and I'm sure I'll continue to see you on this board into the next application season

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

There's still hope, folks; be it this year or next. :)

(Chapsony: were you waitlisted, as opposed to being rejected outright? Hopefully the former. :) )

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 1 month later...
Guest ioncannon97

Hey guys,

I am an OT8 looking to get a roomate for a condo on Bay st. The condo will be fully furnished with many insuite amenities (washer, dryer, dishwasher, cable t.v.). Many building facilities also including running track, gym, and 24 hr. security. The room itself is a bedroom/solarium with good dimensions (can't find the paper with all the dimensions but I can find it later if needed) and will be furnished with bed, study, and drawer. Drop a message in the inbox if interested.

Archived