Premed 101 Forums

Research Experience

Guest RXK

Hello all,

i would love to get some research experience during the summer (and/or in the upcoming school year), but unfortunately i had missed the deadline for ROP (299s) and so i am left here to wonder how i could get a placement. thus, how could i go about getting some research experience? should i start by visiting local hospitals and asking whether there are any opportunities, or are there other organizations that i can go through to get a placement? should i directly contact researchers and if so, who? should i send resumes and references?... i really don't know where to begin; so, any advice would be great!

Thanks in Advance,

RXK

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Generally, if you wish to secure a funded summer research opportunity as an undergraduate student you have to do so early, i.e., in January or February (especially at UofT).

If you are willing to go unfunded then there may still be hope for you for this summer, but you'll have to do some lab door-to-door soliciting. You can begin to find appropriate names by checking out the faculty lists of researchers within relevant departments, e.g., Physiology, Lab Medicine and Pathology, etc. You may look more attractive to any given research group if you say that you'll go without funding for the summer and are willing to continue a project through the fall and winter terms. Good luck. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived