Premed 101 Forums

CPR

Guest happy2bme

Guest happy2bme

I took a basic CPR course last year as a refresher because I hadn't upgraded in years, can't find my card though... How long are you "good" for?? Is it yearly or every two years? Just thought I'd ask y'all before I bug admissions.

Finally got all my immunization stuff signed by my old family doc's office. A few needle pokes still need to be undertaken yet. A surprise is that I had a lot of TB tests back in the 70's, all neg., and never have been actually immunized against regular measles.... and have never had the little buggers either.

Guest jgray2

cpr-c/first aid is good for 3 years, i think. at least that's what it says on my certificate.

it's kind of funny because it's barely been two weeks and i don't remember much about first aid and i sometimes forget the chest compression/breathing ratio for cpr. but that's what happens when you learn how to save a life over a weekend and are examined via a group test! ;)

Guest happy2bme

I wonder why first aid would be three and basic just one. It's not like the CPR instructions change from one course to another.

Oh well , what's one more hoop. I almost actually had to use it once at Shaw millenium park. Thank God the kid started breathing spontanously after I rolled him over. I did however get to yell "hey you, call 911 on your cell phone"

The moral of the story, no matter how cool you think you are, the cement is always cooler, so wear a helmet!

Guest haikuguy

CPR standards are always changing, based on research on outcomes and to make it easier for everyone to remember. There is a major change upcoming this year. Also, it makes you practice more, so it gets driven into your brain, deep into your brain.

First Aid standards, on the other hand, change more slowly. There are only so many ways to bandage a hand...

Guest wylie348

From what our CPR instructor told us last weekend, the only real change coming up is 15-2 goes to 30-2 ...

(but it is apparently not official yet)?

Arrgghh! I just want to start tommorrow - August seems forever away!

Archived