Premed 101 Forums

Joining MD/Msc late or taking undergrad classes during med?

Is there any ability to join the MD/MSc program during year 1? I didn’t know about the program when applying and am interested in it. Also, is there a possibility of doing a single undergrad course alongside the course load of the MD program? I would just do it pass/fail or as an audit if possible (just a small side interest)

No. The MD/MSc program at Queen's is the same admissions process as MD/PhD, and accepted students spend the first year working on the Masters, not the MD. If you want to do a Masters before graduating from med school though, you can apply separately for the grad program, and if you are admitted, you can request to take a year or two off from MD to finish your Masters and then come back. People who do this most often choose to take their time off after second year and then come back to start clerkship after they're finished their grad degree. I would talk with Dr. Sanfilippo if you're considering it. Downside to this is that you don't get the same funding/stipend that those who are admitted through the MD/MSc/PhD stream do.