Premed 101 Forums

Verifiers Cannot Be Friends or Family Members

For at least uOttawa now,

"You must provide a verifier for each activity listed on your detailed Autobiographical Sketch. The verifier cannot be a friend or family member. You must comply with the instructions provided or your application will be disqualified."

If we include a personal hobby or life event on our ABS, any recommendations on who to use as a verifier? 

I have a similar issue. I volunteered at a long-term care facility and my supervisor at the time was a colleague of my dad in a different company a few years prior to that (which I how I heard of the volunteering opportunity in the first place). He's not family or a friend of mine, but I suppose he counts as a friend of my dad even though they're not very close.

Would this be an issue or is the connection too loose?

How would they know if it was a friend, a colleague, a distant family friend, etc.? I'm not saying to go out of your way to lie, but the way ECs/volunteering worked at my school, all the club presidents and execs were peers, sometimes very close friends, so... this was kind of unavoidable. And I haven't come across anyone having any sort of issue about it...