Premed 101 Forums

The OOP Formula, and What We Know About It.

Guest ttryit

Hello Everyone,

The OOP formula for last year was:

62.517*GPA+12.122*VR+6.757*BS and the cutoff was 455.93

My question is, are the coefficients staying the same or changing this year? It seems to me that these coefficients were determined from an analysis of last year's applicant pool (how else would they come up with numbers like 62.517...), so it stands to reason that they will change for this admissions cycle.

tt/

Guest kaymcee

Although this is purely speculation, I believe the co-efficients will remain the same. The coefficients have nothing to do with the applicant pool, rather, Calgary's opinion as to how these numerical statistics should be weighted. It is the cut-off that changes from year-to-year.

Last year, this cutoff was for the top 100 OOP applicants, all of whom received an interview. This year, however, the complete records of the top 150 OOP applicants (based on this formula) are considered, 85 of whom receive an interview. It seems reasonable to assume that the cut-off will be lower than last year, but it isn't as black-and-white as make the cutoff, get the interview.

Receiving a high score relies heavily on MCAT performance, with GPA not accounting for much variation (+/– 25.0068). It's a little depressing how well one must do on the MCAT to make 455.93, but I guess I'll see if it's worth my money to apply to Calgary on Friday.

Hey kay,

I too am making my decision on Friday, but I am trying to gather some information in advance.

I still don't understand why Calgary would choose to weight GPA, and verbal/bio with these wacky coefficients (which they have given to the third decimal place!).

Seems to me that since there is less freedom in the GPA, verbal and bio marks (i.e. your GPA can be 3.99, but not 3.999696966966, your verbal can only be whole number (8.0, 9.0 and nothing in between, etc.) that the tuning they use to determine interviews is only in the coefficients and the cut-offs and these will vary from year to year.

On another topic, did you say that all the applications will read and graded? This could increase the number of variables in the ranking score formula, or at least let us know that our essays will not fall on deaf ears.

tt/

Guest kaymcee

How Calgary arrived at the extraordinarily fine-tuned numbers in the formula, I'm sure, will be unknown to those of us on the outside. Maybe someone who knows a lot about math could come and enlighten us...

As for your question, ttryit, yes, the entire submission of the top 150 OOP applicants (based on the formula) will be evaluated, the top 85 of whom will receive an interview. Although this is slightly less than the 100 interviews granted to OOP hopefuls last year, it rings truer to Calgary's applications process for native Albertans (i.e. evaluating the entire application before deciding on an interview rather than using numerical stats to cut down the pool).

Hello again,

Kay, you're right...it seems that the OOPers will not be treated with cold numerics as they were last year, but it remains to be seen what difference this will make.

Will it mean that everyone will get read, but it will still ultimately come down to MCAT and GPA performance, or it the attempt at a more holisitc approach to OOPers actually sincere?

tt/

Archived