Premed 101 Forums

25 y/o software engineer, next steps?

Hey guys! I'm looking for advice on what to do, because I don't know what would be the most logical option considering my background.

I'm from Ontario, and always had med school at the back of my mind, but chose to do a degree in CS at UofT even though CS is my weakest subject. I struggled through undergrad as a result (grades wise and emotionally), but the tradeoff is that I was able to easily find employment and be financially independent. This was and is still very important to me. I come from a poor background and wanted to make sure my parents were able to pay the mortgage/bills after they got laid off, and so a degree in CS allowed me to pay for my own education and also help support my parents. 

Education: I'll be graduating this December from UofT with a 3.3 GPA. I did well in 1st year, getting a 3.9 GPA overall with a full course load. Then in subsequent years I struggled HARD with depression/anxiety and had to reduce my course load to half for some semesters, and even take a semester off or two. On top of that, I took 2 full years off to work full time so my academic record is full of gaps. I'm also worried that my marks in my computer science courses look bad. I failed 2 CS courses since the CS department here has a policy where if you fail the final exam, no matter how well you did in the course before, you automatically get assigned a failing mark of 47.

Other than my crappy performance in CS, I do well at school (80-90s otherwise, which is why my overall GPA is still 3.3). I have no love for coding and it shows :(

I have had two research poster presentations, one on visual cognition and one on user experience for fitness and health. 

Work Experience: I worked in the government for some years in a supervisory position. I also worked as a graphic designer and freelance illustrator for individual clients and for a tutoring company.

I worked summers as a research assistant for my psych professors.

I'm working full time now as a software engineer, as well as taking 3 night courses this semester. I work in a non-profit legal clinic doing work for the community. It's a good job and I'm good at it, but I really want to pursue medicine.

Extracurriculars/Hobbies: Nothing to write home about. Was in leadership roles for clubs during university and volunteered as a notetaker for accessibility services. I've submitted artwork to university magazines, and currently still work on my art and get commissioned for illustrations when I'm not at my day job or at school. I've volunteered at art summer camps teaching kids how to use Photoshop and at various one-day events around the city. Have played piano for a decade. 

Next steps: I don't know whether a 2nd degree (in life sciences) is something I should pursue, or whether pursuing a masters in something like UX design would be more reasonable since it's what my background is in. But idk if a grad program would be able to salvage my marks. 

I speak French and wouldn't be opposed to doing school in Quebec. Also am open to the idea of going overseas for school, only problem would be matching back in Canada. My current partner is European, and we are thinking of getting married soon. She wants to maybe one day move back to Spain or any of the neighbouring countries because her family is there, so it wouldn't be the worst thing for me if I can't come back to Canada. 

My partner is supportive of my decision to pursue medicine and said that she'd support me financially during my studying years (whew I'm not crying... you're crying), since I won't be able to get OSAP for a 2nd degree. I don't mind being in school for another decade, since we are gay and do not want kids. 

I don't have grade 12 bio or chemistry, so I'll also need to take those credits at some point if I were to restart in a life science program. 

I'm willing to put in 100% of my time and energy into pursuing this. I just don't know how to best approach it. Thanks for reading, much appreciated :D 

Masters won’t help, you are looking at a second undergrad, ideally taking it full time during the normal academic year. Look at kin as well. To go to Med school in Europe, you would be taking a chance, especially if you break up one day and are then stranded there with no realistic chance of returning to Canada to practice. Having French, U Ottawa is an option for their French stream, where they are less stringent than their English stream, and you can still write the exams in English. Good luck!