Premed 101 Forums

Calgary hospitals

Guest HSR07

Hi!

I'm doing an elective in Calgary in the new year and I'm trying to figure out where to stay. Is there a shuttle service between the major hospitals? I'm at the Peter Lougheed Center but my friend is at Foothills and we were hoping to stay somewhere together. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm actually applying to the U of C program, but as Calgary native, I can tell you that there is local transit between hospitals and that the Peter Lougheed and Foothills are close to the C-train. One can contact Calgary Public Transportation for further information..sorry, I don't know the number off hand. I am not so sure that there is any other transport (aside from taxi/car) that will get you to and from the two major hospitals. Hope this is a bit of a help.

Guest riffraff

hey,

if you wanted to talk to someone in regards to calgary transit i think the number is (403)262-1000. try calgarytransit.com too.

both foothills and peter lougheed are off 16th ave (highway 1) but are a distance from each other. there are alot of traffic lights within this distance so i'd estimate it takes 20-30 minutes from one hospital to the other. there is at least one bus route, 119, that goes right across 16th (though i'm not sure of it's complete route) so both you and your friend should definitely be able to stay at the same place. if your residence was off 16th ave in between the two hospitals it'd be most useful i think.

but i'm rambling now (i'm tired).. anyways my point is i think you guys will be ok. overall calgary's not a tough city to get around anyways so regardless of where you need to be i think you'll be fine.

Guest marbledust
overall calgary's not a tough city to get around anyways so regardless of where you need to be i think you'll be fine.

I would vehemently disagree with this statement :lol

It's easier to get around Calgary than Toronto or Vancouver. But the transit system here is not great--compared to other cities. Although, to be fair, I say this as a car-driver who rarely takes transit because it drives me crazy :eek

The last time I took the 119 (two years ago...the route may have changed since then) it did not stop anywhere close to the PLC. As far as I know, there is not a direct transit route between the two places. It's true that you can take the train--but even that entails taking a bus from the Foothills to the train station and then transferring trains downtown. Its not that bad, I guess...I am sure you could find somewhere midway so you both can get to your respective hospitals without too much trouble.

Although, maybe there is another way to get from one hospital to another that I am unaware of and somebody else could share...

Good luck and I hope you enjoy Calgary :)

Archived