Premed 101 Forums

Should i drop out or continue in my degree?

So my GPA is really low. Im 26 and i’ve struggled with school in the past but ive proven to myself that I’m ready to tackle it properly. Im still enrolled in an undergraduate degree. 

Recently, ive become passionately interested in pursuing medical school. I don’t have the grades for it. My GPA is probably in the 60%’s atm for various reasons. The last semester i attended went okay and i know im ready for serious improvement.

Im studying neuroscience and mental health atm. But I may be transferring to a more local uni so i may have a chance to improve my GPA that way, but idk if it will be enough. I dont know how many credits would transfer over.

It feels a little too late for me for most options, but i do feel like trying for medical school a lot atm for various personal reasons, plus i want to be set on a path and right now it seems my options are limited, medical school included. 

Should i

carry on with my current degree, try to retake courses(idk if the grade would be replaced or averaged atm) and improve my gpa and try for medical school

Or should i drop out of my current program and try to apply for a new program? Would it decrease my chances of getting in that my current uni grades are not great if i do go that route.

what should i do? Should i give up on the idea of medical school entirely?

Lots to unpack there.

first, you may want to look at various medical schools and how they look at GPA. With how your explaining it, it will be hard to recover for schools that look at your cGPA as it takes into account all your grades. Schools like queens and western look at best or last two years, maybe be more you go to. Ottawa last your last three with most recent counting more. 

it really depends on you what to do next,  my advice is always do a degree where you’d be happy working in the field lest medicine does not work out. It’s not the end all or be all, it requires tons of work and sacrifice. 

you really got to be aiming for those 85+ marks at this point. Utilize your profs and school resources in how you can improve and to clarify concepts, etc. Good luck.