Premed 101 Forums

2005 OOP Formula and Cut-off

Guest Elaine I

Guest Elaine I

Will one of the OOP applicants from 2005 please post the formula that was used, as well as the cut-off? I went searching through the archives, but it appears as though an entire year of Calgary posts were lost during the attack, including the thread with this information.

Thanks for your help.

Elaine

Guest CrazyKath

Hey,

I'm an OOP that was accepted for 2008. The formula used for us is on the Med Calgary website:

"Non-Albertans will be rank-ordered on the basis of an algorithm regression formula based on the grade point average in the best two full-time years and the scores achieved in the verbal reasoning and biological sciences sections of the MCAT.

Ranking Score Formula = 62.517* (gpa) + 12.122* (VR) + 6.757* (BS)

* constant numbers "

Hope that helps.

~K~

Guest Elaine I

Thanks CrazyKath. I wasn't sure if this year's formula was the same as last year's.

Does anyone have the cut-off from last year? What was the minimum score that an OOP applicant had to receive in order to earn an interview?

Thanks for your help.

Elaine

Guest madison2001

Does anyone know the equivalent conversion scale for GPA? Is it based on what university you attended like OMSAS or is anything over 80% considered a 4.0?

Guest kaymcee

The conversion scale can be found here. It seems like they really low-ball the percentage scores. An 80% equals a 3.48? Yikes!

Anyone from U of C know this system in detail?

Thanks, Nehpets.

Yeah, the conversion seems kind of strange. At my school an A- is about 80-85, but since my marks are in letters then that would still convert to a 3.7 according to that chart? That wouldn't be fair to people who get grades in percentages if an 80 is only a 3.48.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

The GPA and MCAT-based formula is applied to all OOP applicants to UofC, and it is the top-ranked applicants who then progress to the next stage of the application process, i.e., review of essay, activities, etc.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Full-time status is a little different for graduate applicants where four courses are not required over one academic year. When I applied I believe that 0.5 courses per term permitted a graduate applicant to receive "full-time" status. You might want to check the latest requirements though, as that might have since changed.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest docbil

Wow this is interesting.

So how would they calculate someone with a MSc and a PhD. My last undergrad course was 5 years ago.

Do they take grad GPA or the best 2 undergrad. Or one of each????

VR is worth more then BS on the formula.. that is also a kick in the balls. Since that was my worst with a 777777777.

Oh well.

Guest red devil 85

so if full time is 4 courses a semester, if you have taken 5 or 6 courses do they only use the best 4 like western does .......(where if u have taken over 5 courses they pick the best 5) or does calgary count all your courses whether it be 4 or 5 or 6 per semester?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

You guys should contact Admissions with specific questions such as these. I remember how things were calculated a couple of years ago, but those policies might have changed since then. The folks in Admissions are generally more than happy to help clarify these sorts of issues for you.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Elaine I

For anyone interested, I located last year's OOP cut-off. It was 455.93, using the same formula as this year. However, if memory serves correctly, the top 100 OOP applicants (all above the cut-off) received automatic interviews. This year, they will score everyone, and then evaluate the complete files of up to 150 applicants in order to select 85 interviewees. Therefore, it would seem that the cut should drop at least a little.

Elaine

Guest kaymcee

Hi Elaine,

That cut-off is high! With the out-of-province minimum GPA being 3.60, the range that the GPA portion of the calculation can account for is 25 points (225.0612 - 250.068). Thus, a person with a perfect 4.0 GPA would need to score 11/11 on VR/BS to JUST make it past the cut-off. (The same person could reach the cutoff with 9/15, 10/13, 12/9, 13/8 for VR/BS). I didn't bother to calculate VRs above 13, as those are extraordinarily rare– congrats to those who have scored that.

Looking at a more "typical" situation, a person with a GPA around the mean (3.77) could make the cutoff with 10/15, 11/13, 12/12, 13/10. Those are some freakin' sweet scores.

At the bottom of the barrel, a person with a 3.60 would need 11/15, 12/13, or 13/11 to make it.

Considering I'm scoring 9's for my VR in practice, I'm liking my chances for an interview less and less. Maybe with the top 150 being considered as opposed to 100, it could lower the numbers a little, but who knows how much.

Guest CrazyKath

Hey guys. I know that the OOP scoring seems daunting. I applied from BC and both my GPA and MCAT needed to be VERY strong to rank in the top 100 for interviews. However, Calgary is a really great school for recognizing who would be "successful" Calgary grads. I didn't even rank for an interview at UBC (missed by 1/2 pt!), but was accepted at Calgary (my first choice).

So don't be discouraged, it's a weird process. Just try and present your strongest application and that's all you can do. A lot depends on who else is applying that year and school's subjective evaluations.

Archived