Premed 101 Forums

File Review

Guest happy2bme

Guest happy2bme

So I just sent my file review request form from the UofC and my ten dollars, any idea when I will get my info?

Has anyone sent their form and $$ in to Susan and received their info yet or am I the first to do this with the official UofC request form? Sounded like she'd send it quite quickly once the form and $$ were received, but you never know....

Guest Nehpets

Hey,

Mine took 2 weeks from when I mailed the form from Edmonton. Susan will email you once she has made a copy of your file to let you know she is sending it.

Hope that helps.

Guest cause2003

Hey Happy,

I have a few questions. Do they still give you the file review if you are on the waitlist or do I have to wait? Also, is this the same as acessing your file through FOIP?

-Cause

Guest Nehpets

Hey, I'm not "happy" but I think I can answer your questions. You can get your file review now even if you are on the waitlist (I did). And it is the same as a FOIPP access request. Hope that helps.

Guest medsmurf

After all is said and done and rejections are sent out, do you think admissions will tell us where we were on the waitlist?

Has anyone heard how many people are still on the IP waitlist?

I know the chances of getting in now are slim to none but I guess I'm just trying to get a sense of where I was ranked out of all the IP applicants that were interviewed.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Nehpets

Hey Elaine,

The file review package contains everything bascially. You reference letters, transcripts, application, interviewers' remarks, on site essay, and the evaluations of your application by the admissons committee members. The only thing you can't find out is your position on the waitlist.

Hope that helps.

N.

Guest flainechiu

Hi everyone,

I haven't heard of any other university letting us review our files, especially to such a thorough extent...is this process unique to U of C? If so, does anyone know why U of C is the only school that does this?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

UBC was another school that allowed you to invoke the Freedom of Information Act. During one year in which I applied, I asked UofT if I could invoke the Act after a failed application. The request ascended all the way up to the Director of Admissions, and she refused, stating simply that UofT does not participate in the Act. :rolleyes

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest kaymcee

You receive your reference letters? Do the school's inform your referees? If not, this could be a good way to ensure your "shining" reference letters are actually shining.

I hope I don't have to use the service, but it's good to know that it exists?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

There used to be a box on the FoIA form which, when checked, would allow the letters to be released but with either the permission or notification of the letter writers.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Nehpets

Your referees do not find out that you have accessed their letters. It says on the form referees fill out that all information is collected under the FOIPP Act and may be seen by the applicant upon request.

N.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Perhaps it was the UBC FoIA document request form that noted that referees would be contacted if letters were included in the documents requested by the applicant. I completed FoIA requests for both, UBC and UofC, in the past and I know that at least one of the schools had this notification stipulation in place.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived