Premed 101 Forums

Rumors regarding more seats...

Guest Fizz29

Guest Fizz29

Hey all,

Not to encourage rumor but I thought I would share with you a little gossip I heard on the weekend. I met a former U of C medical grad at a party who mentioned that U of C was going to have 129 seats for the upcoming year. After seeing what was mentioned on this board, I asked for clarification since it did not appear that they were going to put the extra seats in place for the 2005-06 year. She said that she had a conversation with someone in the know (I won't say who it is but absolutely someone who would be involved in the decision making) and that he/she said that they were moving full speed ahead.

Come September I may feel like a fool for sharing this information when there are only 100 seats. Sometimes administrators get way ahead of themselves in their excitment to expand so until we hear the official word there isn't anything to celebrate yet. However, I thought I would share anyway to see if anyone else has heard any updated information. Obviously there is some hope if they put so many of us on the waitlist!

Guest happy2bme

Are you trying to give me a stroke.....lol

129 (odd number?) but would make that waitlist move a whole lot!

I agree that (unless it was the Dean of Medicine that told her) that Admin people always over hype a project long before it becomes reality. I keep listening to the news for announcements etc regarding this more seat stuff and if I hear anything more I too will post it on the forum!

Until then I remain,

Happy2bme

Guest snpqueen

Ahhhh... this is making me crazy. More seats, not more seats and over 100 people on the waitlist. Why couldn't they just tell us top 50% or bottom 50%??? I'm trying to get ready for my defence and it is very distracting thinking about maybe I received a happy phone call today. Then I get home and no voice mail. Well good luck to the other waitlisters. I hope you guys are doing better than myself.

Guest fizzicyst

I was in the office last week and I got the impression that the 129 would include international students who don't go through the same application process. Not sure if they have managed to get enough staff to add the 25 spots this year.

Guest Scarlett

I had already given up on more seats...is it really possible that they could add them this year? That would be REALLY nice if they did...

For those of you with 'connections' do you have any insider info on *when* they might know whether or not they are adding seats for this year? (Please don't say it could be up until school starts in August...this waiting is killing me!).

Any info you guys have would be awesome and will help wait out the days...:\

Thanks a million!

Scarlett

Guest Scarlett

Not that we need a downer on a gray rainy day like today, but I finally bit the bullet and asked Susan about an increase in class size and this is what she said:

"As of yet, we have not heard anything further on the increase in seats. The Board of Govenors has approved it and the government will supply the money. We are just trying to work through a few issues in the Faculty, such as teachers, space, etc. It probably will not happen this year, but you never know."

It doesn't sound too encouraging... :(

Anyway, I just thought I would share that info. Let's hope that waitlist still moves though!

Scarlett

Guest happy2bme

I don't supposed you asked if they'd be sending out any more rejection letters for the lower, not a shot in hell, part of the waitlist if they become confident that they will not for sure be adding seats?

Guest cause2003

Quote: "We are just trying to work through a few issues in the Faculty, such as teachers, space, etc."

I'll sit in someone's lap during class.

-cause

Guest wattyjl

cause - i'll rent you my lap... with certain terms and conditions of course.

if there's enough interest, i'll take out an auction on ebay

:b

g/l.

Guest happy2bme

With the rental of laps, the medical school admissions would become overrun with applications. $15,000 for a year's worth of lap privilages would be alot cheaper than paying by the song!

OK I'm taking my mind out of the gutter.......now.

Guest wylie348

On THAT note... keep up the humour! It is nice to see people remaining positive while we sit and wait! Does anyone know if there is usually a date that passes when all of the sudden waiters start to move?

:)

Thanks!

(PS - is Adele away from the office - I have not had an e-mail back from her for some time now...?)

Guest Scarlett

Happy - sorry I didn't ask about rejection letters...my guess is that they aren't going to do it just on the off chance that they do increase the class size. It looks as though they have condemned us all to a summer of waiting...now we just need to find a way to pass the time and try not to think about it - any bright ideas?

I also noticed that it is eerily quiet on the waitlist front here at UofC...I wonder what that means...Hopefully, some of us will receive some good news in the next week or two as decisions with other schools become final!

I also agree with wylie that it is nice to see some jokes (cause2003 - I laughed out loud at your post!! :rollin )

We need to make sure we keep our spirits up!

Scarlett

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Just a note to help you guys "keep your spirits up", in previous years I have noticed a lot of movement occurs around the time when Ontario schools make their class lists firm/definite....it seems some students hold on to acceptances for awhile, but once they become firm, several people on the waitlist get phone calls.

Good luck to you all,

Jenn

Guest CrazyKath

I have made the mature decision to suggest sharing a lap in some sort of joint custody arrangement to maximize the opportunities for those waiting. Anyone interested in a MWF lap if I took T/Th? I'm trying to economize ... lap rental can be an expensive endeavour I'm sure.

Obviously the wait has made me crazy.

~K~

Archived