Premed 101 Forums

Queen's Clerkship and Evaluation

Guest MegaDreamer

Guest MegaDreamer

Hi,

I have been accepted to Queen's medical program, as well as UWO and Alberta. I just have a couple of questions regarding the Queen's clerkship that might help me select a school:

1) I know that the clerkship starts in January of third year, which is a semester later than most other schools. What, if any, are the drawbacks to this? Does the later start date mean that Queen's clerkship continues till later on? If so, how much time is there between the end of the clerkship in 4th year and the LMCC licencing exams? Are review classes held (I know Western has a whole semester of review at the end of fourth year).

2) Where is the clerkship completed? Can I complete the clerkship outside of Kingston? Is there at least a certain portion of the clerkship I can complete outside Kingston, and if so, what proportion?

3) Does the fourth year clerkship consist fully of electives, like Western, or are there mandatory rotations in fourth year as well?

4) I know that final exams are held in December and May. How difficult is it managing all of the material all at once? Does your entire grade consist of the final exams, or are there assignments/projects throughout the semester which are worth some marks?

Please let me know.

Thanks so much!

MegaDreamer

Guest debmd

Hi there. I'll try to answer some questions because you're probably anxious to make your decision. But I make no claims to be an expert on Queen's curriculum by any means...

When I applied, I was curious about the clerkship thing as well. Clerkship starts in January of 3rd year. As far as I understand you have 6 weeks of some core rotation and then start your electives. The electives (12 weeks' worth) can be anywhere you like. Additionally, I believe you can do your 6 week Family rotation anywhere you like provided you arrange it yourself (someone correct if I am mistaken). From what I've been told, the shortened clerkship really has no bearing on your chance at a residency (if that's what you're worried about). In reality, schools that have 3 year programs also have condensed clerkship programs and they turn out allright as well. I think a benefit to doing a clerkship in a smaller centre like Kingston means you have more direct contact with attending physicians and less of the "herd of white coats" following them around. Now I don't know any of this from personal experience, but I do know that faculty are approachable, totally accessible and willing to take a personal interest in students. From what I have gathered, it is a close knit medical community. This is one of the best things about Queen's so far.

I'm not sure how much time there is before the LMCC, but I'm pretty sure it's not a whole semester. Besides, many upper years LOATHE having to go back into the classroom after being in the hospital. So, it depends on your perspective I guess.

Having just completed exams TODAY, I can honestly say that managing the volume of information is challenging but doable. It all depends on how you learn. Photographic memory? No problem! Just kidding. In first semester there were a few assignments worth a total of 20% (I think). This semster, 50% of our 4-week MSK block was due to assignment/team learning and there was a geriatrics assignment worth a whopping 2.5%.

Hope this helps and good luck making your decision.

Archived