Premed 101 Forums

Getting into med school with a psychology major

Guest 4lmm8

Guest 4lmm8

Hey, I'm going into second year at Queen's and *hopefully* getting my BSCH major in psychology. My ultimate goal is to go to med school, and I realize that a life sci degree would be the best way to go about that... but I didn't take physics this past year so I don't think I can switch into life sci

Anyway! My question is: is it common that people with psychology majors apply for/get into med school? Any suggestions as to what path I should take?

Thanks in advance

Guest flying kumquat

Although it is probably less common for people with psych degrees to apply for med school, I don't see any reason why they should be less likely to get into med school. As you've hopefully heard, there's no magic path to getting into med school. At Queen's, you need 15 credits by the time you start, including 1 life sci credit, 1 physical sciences credit and 1 humanities or social science course (go to the admissions page to find out specifically what those can be). You also need a high enough MCAT and GPA to get chosen for the interview (this year, cutoffs were 3.68 and 32O, see admissions page for specifics). Your major really doesn't matter.

It's true, there are a lot of life sci grads at Queen's and in med school generally, but this is not a requirement. We also have English majors, philosophy majors, about 10 engineers, and graduate students with a wide range of backgrounds. At Queen's, a psych major would have just as good a chance as anyone else, especially if this degree is something you're interested in and you can talk about it as such.

As for physics and some of the other courses you might want to (but don't have to!) take for the MCAT, I'm sure the people on the MCAT forum here can give you good advice, if your questions haven't already been addressed in previous threads.

Good luck!

Guest little endian

I totally totally agree with what's said above. I don't have a life sciences degree and I made it into the class of 2009 so I wouldn't be discouraged by not being in life sci. The good thing about having an 'unusual' degree for medicine is that it gives you something to talk about in your interview and it sets you apart from all of the life-sci grads! They're looking for a person, not a program.

Good luck!

Guest Valani9

I have a psych degree - and many of my friends who went to med school have a psych degree. It will not hurt you in the least. Not a chance.

The main reason for this - at no point do they actually look at the degree you got, and factor that into the equation. If you've got the prerequisite courses, the only thing that you transcript counts for is the number (i.e. GPA).

Remember, the whole process is done by numbers. They assign a score to your essay, your interview, and your marks. Then a computer adds it all up, and the top 100-200 get an offer. There is no point where a bunch of people sit around in a room and make qualitative judgements about what degree you have. It would take way too long.

Good luck

Archived