Premed 101 Forums

Acceptance/Rejection Notification

Guest mednl

Guest mednl

Sorry to start this thread so early into the waiting game but I was wondering how Queen's sends out notification of acceptance or rejection.. is it by courier or do they snail mail it??

Thanks!!

Guest BCSarah

I got my acceptance by email June 1 last year, then a letter followed in the mail (good thing, because at first I thought that it was a prank).

Hope you get good news too!

Guest NeuroObsessed

For anybody associated with admissions, do you think it's a good idea to call admissions and let them know if you have done something substantial after you handed in your application... but didn't get to talk about it during your interview? For example, I was awarded an NSERC grant to research this summer... and I also worked in the election... and am heading up a Brain Injury Prevention Committee this summer... just wondering whether I should call/e-mail them of these developments or whether it's too late!

Thanks for your help!

hey there. i also go my acceptance (from the waitlist) in early June by email. the snail mail came afterward, once i replied to the email.

i dunno if it's a great idea to call the admissions office with new info that would improve your candidacy. i'd probably say "no" and i'll tell you why... once you've had the interview, your acceptance now rides on your interview score and the 5 short answers you gave as part of your Queen's OMSAS application. telling admissions about an NSERC will not impact either of those, so it would probably just be a little annoying to them. just be confident in what you've done and cross your fingers. good luck. btw, i'm not associated with admissions, this is just opinion.

Guest ssc427

I agree with ET. A while ago I asked if I could send an updated list of my accepted publications and was told they wouldn't be read. Updating your application works in the US but is not done in Canada.

Guest little endian

I got my notice on the 30th of May last year that I was accepted and had until June 14 to respond. I got it by email while I was in Italy and it was the best news ever!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ScoobyBill

Did your initial notice saying you were on the wait list come as an email or on paper?

Is it the same for straight-up acceptances/rejections?

Guest BCSarah

My email was a straight-up admission offer, and then the letter followed.

Good luck! Waiting is so hard. Hope you get the news that you want.

Guest FlamingSheep

If my memory serves me correctly, at the interview day presentation Queen's said that they would send out offers of admission around May 15, and would expect replies by May 29. That doesn't seem like a lot of time, especially since the OMSAS website states that offers made on May 15th would have to be answered by June 15th.

Does anyone at Queen's know if I'm mistaken?

Guest flying kumquat

The June 15 date seems like an awfully long time to make this decision. I think that this was the date set for last year, and acceptances went out May 31. It would make sense if you had from May 15-31 to decide for this year. And yes, they do mail out waitlist letters, but email you (followed by a mailed letter) for acceptances. So don't be too discouraged on May 15 if you don't get an email!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DOCFORDAD

IF YOU THINK THE WAITING IS HARD ON US YOU SHOULD SEE WHAT'S IT LIKE FOR MY DAD

I DON'T THINK HE COULD STAND ANOTHER SUMMER OF ESSAY EDITING

Guest DOCFORDAD

NO,HE EDITED MY ESSAYS SILLY

BUT IN FACT HE DID APPLY TO MED SCHOOL TOO,VICARIOUSLY,AS MANY DADS PROBABLY DID

Guest ScoobyBill

I did up all my own applications. I thought it fit seeing as I'm the one who is prospectively attending med school in the fall.

My parents' gracious contribution was footing the bill for me traveling back and forth between interview sites.

Queen's is sending the letters on the 15th to our parents' homes/After May 1st address, right?

Archived