Premed 101 Forums

Bursaries at Queen's

Guest habs

Hello,

I was wondering if any of the current Queen's students could provide some information with respect to bursaries. At the interview info session, I thought I heard that one-third of students at Queen's receive bursaries that cover their entire tuition. Is this actually the case? Some other questions:

What proportion of students receive bursaries, and what is the average amount?

How many years out of high school must you be to receive bursaries?

I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what financial assistance Queen's provides.

Thanks!

Guest ssc427

I heard the exact opposite - that financial aid at Queens was about the worst in Canada. The bursaries available seem to be on the 100-1000$ range. Considering most other schools give ~3000-20000$ the Queens aid seems quite weak.

Guest coastalslacker

Bursaries are pretty good. If you have alot of debt coming in, you can get up to $12,000. I think there is a set amount per class, so how much each person gets depends on their debt relative to their class. For example, in first year, the only debt I had was from first year-about $20,000. I ended up getting just over $5000. This year my debt was around $40,000, so you'd think I would get more. Unfortunately, my classmates spent more money then I did and increased their debt by more than I did. So, I got about $3500. I expect it will be less next year. The good thing about the Queens system, if you choose to work it, is that there is no financial incentive to work in the summer, because it will just decrease the amount of the bursary you get. The bad thing about our system is that I have heard of people shifting money around with their parents and getting LOCs so they can get more bursary money. While this is a good personal move, it's actually their own classmates they are cheating since there is a fixed pot from which the funds are drawn.

Guest McMaster Health

At the interview info session, we were told that Queen's gives out pretty large bursaries (comparable to other med schools)

Archived