Premed 101 Forums

queens supplementary work

Guest xylem33

1. Why do you wish to become a physician?

2. Explain how your development and previous experiences have contributed to your suitability to becoming a physician.

3. Explaining your choice as it relates to the study and practice of medicine, expand on one area described in the autobiographic sketch that demonstrates your sensitivity to others and the ability to form team relationships.

4. In relation to your anticipated study & practice of medicine, describe one area from your background that shows your ability for self-directed learning.

5. Explain your reasons for choosing your references.

Yes you have to include references in the answers.

Madz

Guest xylem33

i meant for question 5, do u explain why you chose say ...bob as a reference to my days in house league hockey ..."i chose him b/c he was my coach and he can verify that i did actually play..." isn't this logical??? how can u explain "why" u chose bob...seems strange to me. Now explaining why you chose the 3 referees that u did - that seems more in depth...

oh for question 5..sorry i misunderstood your previous question. for question 5 you explain why you chose the 3 references that provided reference letters.

madz

Guest xylem33

that would be a tough question eh?? i think the quality of essays/answers to questions and quality of references really makes the difference b/w the huge batch of 3.7+ gpa ppl...damn...how many ppl actually get interviews and acceptances who used referess that only knew them for say...a summer (research supervisor) or like 1year (class prof) versus those with refs who've known them since they were 16...it's nuts!! i gotta work on my refs...

Guest kaymcee

I chose my three references based on the kind of insight each one could have on different aspects of my life.

One was a professor that directed a course I took, but it was just me and two other students. The four of us all got to interact a lot, which was great. He can comment on my academic ability. Another reference was a music teacher from high school, but I kept doing musical stuff with her and her husband after I graduated, and I tutored her daughter. She can speak to my personality and interests in general, having known me in many capacities over the last six years. My third reference was a co-op work term supervisor, who can comment on how I work in a professional environment.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Its interview time

two of the references i used were from my research project supervisors. I worked for one of them for one full school year and a summer. I worked for the other for another full school year. I used a medical doctor from the hospital i volunteered at and i knew him for a little more than a year. I'm in the '09 class rite now so i guess if u know them for a year its good enuff.

But remember that a lot of other things are also considered to get an acceptance. Each component is scored and you can have strong and weak points. Its all about how well u do overall. Good luck!~

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rain Vapara

:: nods :: I choose three professionals who could comment on different aspects of my personality as well. One was a researcher/professor who taught me in 2nd year, and who I worked for during the summer of 2nd and 3rd year. I also TA'd one of his classes during 3rd year - so he can comment both on personality and academic skills.

Then I chose an old family friend who was a sort-of mentor to me when I was younger, and she also was my boss for three summers of work. I still knew her when I applied to medical school, but if I had to apply again this year I wouldn't have used her again. It would have been too long since I'd really talked to her.

Then my third reference was another professor who never taught me, but who led a group I was involved in at university for three years. So he knew me pretty well too (and as the group was called MedPlus and for students trying to get into medical school - he was happy to help!)

So yeah - try and choose people you've known recently, who can all speak about a different aspect of your character.

And good luck!

- Tajana

Archived