Premed 101 Forums

Roll Call, Class of 2009 . . .

Guest grover

Guest grover

Hi fellow Queenies (is that how you say it?)!

If anyone else is like me, I haven't quite been able to break the 'checking-the-forums-a-million-times-a-day' like i did during application season . . . so let's take advantage of it ;) This is a roll call for the Queens Medicine Class of 2009 - who are you, where are you from, anything else you want to add, it's up to you!

I'll get things started . . . I'm Amy, I'm originally from Toronto (although did my undergrad at McGill, then worked in Ottawa for a year, so feel a little homeless in Canada now), but I've been working in Paris, France, since January. I'll be joining you in the Fall, living in the Meds House. I'm ridiculously excited to start school in the fall, and to meet everyone . . . only two short months to go . . .

Ok, your turns :b

Guest flying kumquat

Hey everyone,

I'm Erin and I'm also a compulsive forum checker :P I'm originally from Truro, NS (hour outside of Halifax) and I just finished my undergrad at Dal. I'm living in Ottawa for the summer and I'm really excited to be starting classes in the fall! I'm not sure where I'm living yet this year, but I'm going apartment hunting in Kingston this Friday. I can't wait to meet all of you!

Guest little endian

Hey All,

I'm Kate, I'm doing my Master's right now and playing on the internet is taking priority over thesis writing so anything I can do to amuse myself (including checking this forum) I will do. I'm from Toronto, went to Guelph for my undergrad and am now doing my masters in Glasgow, Scotland. I'm super stoked to be starting meds in September although I don't have a place to live yet - but I'm workin' on it!

Cheers!

Guest coleflower

Hello fellow 09ers.

If it's possible I think I check this board more now than before I got in... (I think it's that thesis procrastination too)

My name is Colleen, I'm from North Bay, currently a master's student at Queen's. I did undergrad at Waterloo.

Can't wait to meet everyone in September!

My name's Zain Chagla, and i think i'm the young one on the boards...and in the class i guess...anyways, i live in london, finished my third year undergrad at queen's and was planning on coming back, so i put a deposit down on residence. I emailed the people and got put into the grad res lottery after i found out, and got a spot, so yeah, i'm living in grad res (in the JDUC for all you queen's people).

Looking forward to meet everyone in the fall!

Guest rabbit

Hi everyone! My name is Deborah. I, too, have been completely distracted by this forum. I have been checking posts compusively for months now (much to the dismay of my bosses, I fear). Anyway, work is DONE (finally) in 4 weeks!

I'm originally from Toronto. Did my BSc at McGill and MSc at U of T. I've been working in a hospital doing clinical research (and other assorted activities) for almost 3 years. And I am really excited for the start of school. I landed myself a nice 1 bedroom close to Princess and Division.

Now, I think we should all concentrate on enjoying a much deserved summer before the real fun begins.

Deb :)

Guest antissa

I'm so happy to see people of all ages from all parts of Canada. It'll make for an interesting and varied class :D

I found out I was accepted to Queens shortly after my 20th birthday so I guess you and I will be the babies of the class, ZCH :o

I grew up in Winnipeg, but did high school and undergrad in Toronto. I fence recreationally, collect swords, and love great big epic movies like LOTR and Troy. I'm doing nothing this summer but sitting around twiddling my thumbs in anticipation, so if anyone else is in Toronto and would like to meet up, I'd love to get a head start on introductions

Oh, and like grover, I'm also living in meds house next year

Guest pilotgrrl

I too am a compulsive forum checker (albiet in denial).

My name's Linda. I was born in Toronto and have been living here all my life, studied Pathobiology at UofT, like long walks on the beach and my turn-offs include....err...wrong place for this. ;)

Still can't believe the news. I'm expecting an email saying that there's been a mistake. :o The day the news arrived, I spilt a litre of Coomassie blue all over the floor at the lab. So I'm also a big klutz!

Look forward to meeting everyone in Sept!

Guest QueensMSc

We have a saying here at Queen's the my fellow repeaters will know well...

"Queen's once, Queen's twice, holy jumping ..." The rest will come out in September, no doubt.

Regardless, I'm one of the few that took that statement literally. And as I wrap-up my masters in Neurophysiology here at Queen's, I'm looking forward to joining the class of 2009... for another four years.

It will be fun to meet everyone. And for those of you from outside of the Queen's community, if you have any specific community or Queen's-related questions, feel free to send them my way. I'll do my best to answer one or two: 9gsd@qlink.queensu.ca

See you in the fall.

G

Guest kaisermark

Hey all,

My name's Mark, born and raised in Toronto. I just finished third-year of Arts & Science at McMaster, and am liking this girl-guy ratio :) Seriously, check out Western's forum and look at their intro thread. They're complaining about the opposite, haha.

Anyways, being serious again, I'm into punk music and hockey. I have my fingers crossed that the Leafs will be back on TV this year, and if so you all may have to fight me for the remote (probably living in Medshouse), haha. I'm definitely into house parties and long walks on the beach... oh wait that's been said :)

It's turning out to be a great summer, getting into medschool and having Family Guy return to the air, in no particular order. I wish you all a great summer and a well-deserved break.

-Mark

Guest nalbaqui

Nowal here...just a plain gal from NY. did my bachelors for bio, neuro, this may. and i am all over the place now. would love to elaborate, but i am writing from a remote country where internet apparently works without fibre-glass optics?!?! now, i don't know the credibility of THAT statement.

anyways, extremely excited to get back to civilization, and canada. would love to meet up with y'all.

Nowal

PS. kind of worried about finding housing, especially since i am so out of things right now. i get back around early august. is it still possible to find a decent place to live in then?

Guest kaisermark

Hey,

Where's everyone else? :) I'm sure more of our classmates use ezboard. Introduce yourselves! This thread is going further and further down, and I just wanted to save it from extinction.

-Mark

PS Grover and Antissa (aka medshouse people), check your ezboard inboxes.

Guest linds999

Hi guys!

I'm Lindsay, from Vancouver. Did my undergrad at Queen's in Life Sci (you'll meet a bunch of us LifeSci'ers), so I guess it's back to K-town for another four! Like any true westcoaster, I'm a sushi-addict and a Starbucks snob! (And somebody must love me cuz a Starbucks just opened up downtown last year :rollin ) I'm soooo excited, can't wait to meet you all in September!!

Guest physiology06

Another Vancouverite here :) Did my undergrad at UBC. About the sushi, it's true, we're all sushi-addicts. Where are we going to find fresh $2.75 sushi in Kingston?

As for Starbucks, I guess I'll have to lower my expectations of there being one on *almost* every street corner (can sometimes be two depending on which part of town). That there is one opening in Kingston is indeed very welcome news to my ears!

Anyway, I'm really excited to be coming to Queen's and meeting all you incredible people. (Oh yes, and not to be paying for the ridiculous UBC parking.)

Wow, I didn't realize that there would be so many of us from Vancouver. Funny you mention sushi - I just feasted on sushi for dinner tonight. I grew up in Van., did my undergrad(biochem) in Montreal, and have spent the last year instructing skiing at Whistler and traveling around Oz and China. It's been such a great year - I just hope that it won't be too much of a shock to go from ski/beach bum to science nerd. I am so excited to be heading back to school, though, and I still can't believe that I was accepted. I'm also psyched that next year we'll be able to watch hockey while we pretend to do homework (go Canucks). Wishing everybody a good last month of freedom. See you all in Sept.

Cheers,

Tess

p.s. If anyone has a spare room for rent let me know. I'm just now getting around to finding accomodation since I've only just arrived back in the country. Thanks.

Guest DocaLatte

Hey y'all.

It's been great reading all the posts on this roll call list... looks like it'll be a pretty diverse year!

As for me, I grew up for most of my life in Newfoundland, but did my undergrad at Queen's in Mining Engineering. I've spent the last year in Winterpeg, I mean Winnipeg (you don't know how true that is...) teaching Kaplan courses and serving up good ol' lattes with Starbucks! Queen's was a blast in undergrad and I'm sure it'll be even better in medschool. I'm actually going to sublet an apartment there in August, so if anyone's around and wants to go for drinks, I'm all for it.

Cheers!

Brian

Howdy folks,

Figure I'll chime in, might as well start the introductions early, there are 99 people to get to know after all! My name's Marc, I'm originally from Toronto, did my undergrad at Queen's in Biochem, and I'm just finishing up my Master's degree at U of T (writing right now, ack!).

Physiology06 I'm not sure what to tell you about sushi, I never found anything remarkable the first time around in Kingston, so unless something's changed in the last 2 years, you might be disappointed. I hope not though, cause I know how serious you sushi junkies can get.

Cheers,

Marc

Guest physiology06

haha I'm kidding about the sushi (I think)

i hope those of you who did your undergrad at Queen's will show me some good places to eat though! ~looking forward to it!

Guest wongsydn

Hey all,

My name is Sydney, I've lived in Toronto for most of my life except for the few summers I've had to live in Kingston for reserve training - but that was on the base.

Just finished third year in psych at U of T. I've been spending summer teaching at Kaplan, and painting, getting a tan.

I've been lurking around these boards since before I applied to med school, and finally decided to post. I'm a quiet guy by nature but it seems like this class is going to be a friendly bunch so I'm really excited to meet you all.

See you in September!

I just joined EZ board and it's 9:45 am on Thursday the 28th... I should be writing my thesis, but I'm having a blast reading all these posts and the roll call. Sounds like a ton of great people from all over Canada and quite a few with whom I have a bit in common. Btw, my name is Elisha... but I'm not a girl. It's a biblical name... I swear! Either that or my parents were on smack. Everyone in the class of '09 gets 1 "you have a girl's name" joke. After that it's birthday beats for each offender on every day of the week - a year-long celebration! On a serious note, I'm 25 and from T.O. My BSc was split between 1 year at Guelph and 3 at York U. Currently finishing up year 2 of a Masters in Physiology at U of T.... Did I read somewhere that someone else is here at U of T Physiology? Anyway - I'm psyched to meet you all and study with those I have already met here in Toronto.

-ET

PS - Jokes about my name made on this forum are null and do not count against you until classes start Sept 6. So fire away!

Guest BCSarah

Wow, yeah I had no idea that this forum existed till today. But I broke my foot at Stampede (don't ask) so I'm glad to have all this entertainment while I'm an immobilized gimp. I'm 24, and another warm-weather-loving west coaster. Totally overwhelmed by the profusion of academia on this board... ya, bartender from Whistler here. But I admit it, I'm stoked to get the nerd hat back on. 8o

So I'm kind of with you Tess - and totally ready to fight hard for the canucks too. I have a feeling hockey nights in medshouse could get ugly. Warning to you Leafs fans, I'm bringing my golf clubs, if for nothing else but to defend the canucks.

And I will make sushi if I have to dammit! We can study the effects of ingesting bio-hazardous carp sashimi from lake Ontario.

Can't wait to meet you all!

Peace, Sarah

Archived