Premed 101 Forums

Grad interview email

Guest westcoaster

Guest westcoaster

Just for everyone's info, I received a rejection email yesterday from UofO for my application which was under graduate review (I submitted my productivity package earlier this month). Tough competition for those spots I guess. Good luck all.

Guest wanderin on

hey there westcoaster...

i'm with you on how tough it must have been to get a grad interview. i worked like mad on my grad package and submitted an ms for publication two days before it was due. obviously they didn't care about that, my three presentations (one in Europe), my nserc scholarship, or anything else! the wording of the rejection letter made no sense to me – sounded like a bunch of bs. did they even look at our reference letters like they said they would? how many were in the grad pool and how many received interviews? you'd think they'd at least tell us that. what does "completeness of your file and graduate transcript averaging an A" mean? who didn't have a graduate transcript averaging an A? did our grad marks end up counting a lot? i'm a little jaded because as far as i can tell i just missed the cut off to be considered for an interview solely on my undergrad grades. oh well, getting an interview seems very hit and miss - of the three schools i applied to as a first time applicant i got only one interview at nosm – can’t complain about that!!

pm me if ragged chutes & mississippi river fall '05 mean anything to you.... ;-)

mc

Guest ElzKristy

I too was disappointed to find that I had been rejected by Ottawa after sending in my grad productivity package. I'm not sure what they are looking for and that makes it difficult to improve for next year at Ottawa.

If anyone that DID receive an interview after their grad productivity package was evaluated is willing to disclose their stats / productivity package info / etc, it would really provide some helpful insight. So far I haven't come across anyone that received an interview this way and I would love to hear from these deserving applicants.

Thanks so much!

Guest waitingINwonder

I too am an applicant that was rejected after being asked to submit a grad package. I knew my chances were slim though due to not having a paper or any real presentations, although I do have a scholarship. Frusturating thing is that I was interviewed as an undergrad a couple of years ago but just didn't make the cut this year. I would love to know whether there are any from the actual grad pool accepted for interviews.

Guest Notorious PhD

Hi everyone,

It seems that I'm one of these 'rare' grad applicants that got an interview. A disclaimer before proceeding: I hesitate to reply to this thread because I know that when I read people's stats it stressed the hell out of me. I don't have a competitive undergrad GPA, and all I have going is my PhD. I'm posting not to stress anyone, but to give an idea as to what I included as proof of 'research productivity'. I encourage other grad applicants who got an interview to post as well. Thanks.

--

For the supplementary grad package, I had another letter from my supervisor (in addition to the OMSAS one), first-page reprints of 6 published manuscripts (2 first-author, rest are collaborations), email correspondence for 4 more first-author manuscripts under review, and registration/email receipts for about 18 conferences (oral and poster presentations) I've attended.

Guest ssc427

I initially was rejected by UofO and not even offered the chance to submit the grad supplemental. Then I later received an email saying they overturned my rejection (due to a policy change or something) and to submit a grad package. I did and got an interview.

I’d say I’m in the underdog pool of interviewees:

I’m OOP and have a 3.60 OMSAS GPA and no grad GPA since my degrees didn’t have courses. But I imagine they liked the rest of my ECs etc… or I wouldn’t have gotten the interview (these are 12 publications, 10 are 1st author, 1 received some press, lots of awards, good refs and a diverse array of volunteer work).

Guest AliatUofT

Hi guys

Congrats to all who got an interview, and to those who didnt dont give up, i know rejections are hard to take, believe i have had my fair share of them, but you just have to pick yourself up and try again. Believe me as long as you keep trying u will succeed in the end.

as for the grad App. i think they usually send out about 100 or so invites for grad packages and then they invite ~30 of those for interviews.. so it is still pretty competitive.

again good luck everyone

ali

Archived