Premed 101 Forums

Princess Towers

Guest kaisermark

Guest kaisermark

Hey guys,

I'm still looking for a place this late in the game and will shortly check out a few places with random landlords as well as Princess Towers (Homestead appears to be filled). But I'm getting bad vibes from current Queen's students about the place.

I do generally feel more comfortable going with a corporation rather than some random landlord. Also, location seems prime. However, I have been warned about the noise from Stages. There's a place on the 14th floor still available. Will it still be that noisy? How bad is it really, and what other cons are there? Is it safe? My living options are going down with each passing week.

I'm heading to queen's next year for meds after doing my undergrad there...had a few friends in princess towers. It's decent, the places are nice, and the stages noise isn't really too bad, i mean most of the ghetto places (including my old one) gets a lot of noise on those clubbing days so it's tolerable...especially on the 14th floor. Trust me, you're not going to be keeping your window open much, as it's freakin cold 9 out of the 10 months your there.

The only con i can think of is distance...from botterell hall, you're looking at perhaps a 15-20 minute walk, from JDUC (the student center), maybe a 10 minute walk...doesn't seem like much, but in the dead of winter/ice it can add up.

It's not a 15-20 minute walk to Botterell unless you walk really slow. I used to live just behind Princess Towers in my first year and it took me about 10 minutes every day.

A few of my classmates lived in Princess Towers first year...and they all moved out in 2nd year. A lot of us call the building "the eyesore of Kingston". It's not the nicest building in the world, nor the cheapest. However, it is very centrally located....you're right in midst of all the clubs, restaurants, A&P, etc.

As far as no openings in Homestead goes, you have to be annoying/aggressive to get a place. Basically you have to put in an application, then call like everyday to see if there's an opening. It's all about first come first serve there. The minute I heard about some 4th years vacating a Homestead apartment, I called the office and asked if I could get it.

Anyway, good luck with finding a place!

Guest QueensMSc

Homestead, on the other hand, comes with a strong recommendation from some of my colleagues... who have also informed me that there are indeed rooms coming available (and currently under renovation). As other posts have advised, if you are interested in these apartments be persistent--they are worth it. It may also be worthwhile to request the contact information for superintendents of each building. Current tenants have informed me that they got into apartments by usurping the Homestead process and speaking directly with the super... who has the best idea of what apartments are in fact available or will be available.

Hope that helps. Oh... and if first-hand advice is worth anything, avoid living North of Princess street and West of Division (or purchase good theft insurance).

G

Guest kahone
avoid living North of Princess street and West of Division (or purchase good theft insurance).

That's a hell of a lot of near-Queen's housing.

Plus, in the southeast corner of town you're indicating, is some of the most over-inflated rents to be found; AND there is as much guarantee that you won't be the victim of a break-in as there is if living at Albert and Mack (ie, zero). Yes, Sydenham Ward (and surrounding bits) is a wonderful area but not perfect, and it *can* be poor value-for money as a tenant. If you think $1200/mo just because a place has 14ft ceilings and a (non-functional) mantle fireplace is OK, fine. Keep in mind that the windows may older than you are, drafty as can be, the furnace might be oil-fueled, you can hear your neighbor's phone conversations, and the "hardwood" floors have been refinished so many times they are nearly paper-thick.

There are fantastic, affordable places in areas around the north-south streets from Victoria street eastward (for ex - Vic, Collingwood, Albert, Frontenac, Alfred even), streets like Mack are in cool neighborhoods with relative peace and quiet. The further west of campus (remaining south of Princess) the more families you run into but be respectful and you generally get the same back. No part of this town is perfect, INCLUDING Sydenham Ward and area...you just need to do a fair bit of research....I've had 11!!

K

[for spelling]

Guest medeng
avoid living North of Princess street and West of Division (or purchase good theft insurance).

I think they meant both NOP and west of division. NOP on the east side of division isn't too bad (towards Sydenham St/skeleton park, Johnny Fay even lives there!) But west of division NOP gets a bit sketch...

Archived