Premed 101 Forums

TB and Hep B test requirements?

Guest bl

Hey guys,

The admissions letter says that one requirement for admission is the results of a TB test and proof of Hep B immunization. Do these need to be sent in with an acceptance for the offer? I have not had a TB test done, and it is unlikely that I can get one done and have the results back in the next 3 days (when my offer expires). Anyone know when these results are due?

Thank you!

Guest flying kumquat

I called Judy about this and she said we just need to show TB results and HepB serological proof when we come in September. All you have to send in with your acceptance is the $1000 deposit and a copy of your birth certificate/citizenship card.

I was vaccinated for TB as a child with the BCG vaccine. Now any Mantoux 2 step test will show positive. Should I still do it and have a chest x-ray or will my vaccination history be enough?

Guest seedstrike

I got my TB test/Hep B Serology tests done before starting school but no one actually asked me for the results when I started at Queen's. However, you should still get it done for personal peace of mind and because the school may just ask you for the results this time.

Fudu, when was the last time you had a TB skin test? People who had BCG lose their response to the TB test over time. So if you haven't had a skin test done in a few years, you may want to get it redone to make sure you are still positive. I also had BCG done almost 25 years ago. My last test was positive around 10 years ago and ever since i've been getting chest xrays instead of the skin tests. However, I just had the skin test done 2 days ago (it's required for away electives) and so far i'm showing up negative.

Hey seedstrike,

My last test was done 5 years ago and both of the skin tests came as the same size ~2cm. I've asked my GP about re-testing as well, but he seems reluctant to give another test since the results will probably be the same. Is there anyone in admissions who can help me resolve this problem?

Fudu

Guest kevo26

Hey fudu,

I don't know if this might help, but I would suggest just going and getting a chest x-ray. I also have positive skin tests, and I was told never to have another one because it can cause a 'violent reaction'. So I got my chest x-ray done and the report came around 2 days later.

Guest little endian

Hi Everyone,

I'm not getting back to Canada until the 23rd of August and have a doctor's appointment on the 24th. I was wondering how long it takes to get the 2 step TB test done - like how much time between the 2 steps and if I should get it started while I'm still in the UK. And, how long do the results from the hep B serology usually take?

Thanks

Guest NurseEpi

Hi Little Endian,

For two-step tuberculin skin testing, the second TST needs to be administered at a minimum of one week after the first test. Keep in mind too that for each TST, you need to be seen within 48 to 72 hours to have it read, so really it take 4 separate appointments to have your two-step done.

Hope that helps,

NurseEpi

Guest seedstrike

Hi Fudu,

If your doctor doesn't want you to do a skin test then just ask him for a chest xray. Most likely, when you start at Queen's, no one is going to ask you for these results anyways (like it happened two years ago with me). Nevertheless, get a copy of the xray results from your doc and keep it in your records just in case it is required in the future.

In any case, you will have to repeat the skin test in two years when you are scheduling for away electives. Some schools (eg western ontario) require you to get a skin test done even if you had BCG done previously and had positive skin test in the past.

Archived