Premed 101 Forums

Eligibility ?

Firstly, congrats to everyone who got accepted! !!!! Your hard work paid off! I hope to be in your shoes one day!!!!!!! And for those who didn't, you'll get it !!!!!!!! It does not define you! Now I am a premed (I know, ew) who is not the best GPA wise.... 

However my MCAT is pretty good - which to be fair, I did not expect; 130/131/131/130 (522) 

After countless research and trying to figure out if this cycle was worth applying for me I have calculated the following.

I have only one year above 3.7 (2nd year is literally 3.68 :(((((((((( ) (and western is not including winter anymore) so I don't know how this would work out. With that being said, I took 10 courses, 5 in fall and 5 in winter. I got a 4.0 in fall and a 3.9 in winter. All of the courses were at third year level. So idk if I would be eligible based on this one year alone.  

Queens- lol not even going to bother 

Ottawa- lol, nope 

Toronto: wGPA 3.83 ? (with winter), (no idea how wGPA is calculated without winter- maybe like 3.7 something without winter)- thought it was MAYBE worth a shot...But probably setting myself up for an R. 

Mac- 3.61 so nope (I thought my CARS would compensate but it looks like my CARS is around the average for Mac)

I also explored OOP.

I have no idea how to calculate Alberta- Calgary is out of the question at 3.72; and Alberta I don't know if they will take out my first year or not... I will be entering fourth year, and on their website it says presenting 4 or more years. I don't know if this means youre eligible to drop your lowest if you apply during fourth year or after you graduate. (If anyone could help clarify this- would be appreciated; I emailed, no response) 

Sask avg = 84.9% (and I don't think they round, so I do not make the OOP cut off by 0.1 % :( , however unclear if they will include my fourth year fall mark- if they do and I manage to do well, I would maybe have a shot? ) 

Manitoba: aGPA (I will have 93 credits at the time of the application, so dropping my worst 5 would give me a 4.11) - is it worth it to apply with this ? 

I really tried to think about this as logically as I could- I am looking at around 2000$ in application fees if I also intend to apply to a couple of masters programs. So although I am not crazy competitive for any based GPA, I was wondering if anyone could give any insight on if they think it is worth it (maybe even someone who was in the same boat :D) I would really appreciate it! Thank you so much!!!! 

10 hours ago, chrsyjun said:

Hey, I think you would have a decent chance at Mac! 131 CARS is crazy good tbh (average CARS for Mac is around 129), and if you kill Casper definitely worth a shot at interview. I've seen people with lower GPA get in as interview is typically 70% of post interview score.

1) congrats on your acceptance!

2) thank you, I hope so, I have a feeling my CARS won't be enough to outweigh my GPA I haven't seen anyone with less than 3.8 :( I think maybe if that was my cGPA my cars would be able to outweigh, but a 3.6 seems very low for Mac  based on the results I have seen :( thank you for your input and congratulations again! well deserved! 

1 hour ago, reticularlamina said:

1) congrats on your acceptance!

2) thank you, I hope so, I have a feeling my CARS won't be enough to outweigh my GPA I haven't seen anyone with less than 3.8 :( I think maybe if that was my cGPA my cars would be able to outweigh, but a 3.6 seems very low for Mac  based on the results I have seen :( thank you for your input and congratulations again! well deserved! 

I have seen people with lower GPA get accepted if you look at the past McMaster Accepted/Rejected thread! I think you definitely have a decent shot given your really high CARS score and wouldn't shy away from applying.