Premed 101 Forums

dignostic set

Guest nicoleL

Guest nicoleL

For any upper years who frequent this forum:

My dad, who is a physician, has an old diagnostic set (eye + ear looker inners- circa 1982) that he said work fine that I could have. Considering new sets are a few hundred dollars I was pretty relieved at first. However, he warned me that it is "old fashioned". Now, I have no interest in ophthalmology or anything, but is a new set necessary? Will I get teased?

Guest JC15

In September, there is this big equipment sale and we were all told to buy pretty much everything. I've just finished my second year, and in all honesty, a stethoscope is the only thing you REALLY need...the other stuff is just nice to have. All the rooms in the CEC have ophthalmoscopes and otoscopes, as do most beds in KGH. If you plan on doing rural observerships, it might be nice to have your own set. The only time I have really used my set was the first Christmas I went home to demonstrate to all eager family members my new found physical exam skills. An old set should definitely not be a problem...even if you do get teased a bit.

Guest mosquitoba

hey, i am also planning on using my dad's ancient (:b ) diagnostic set. he assures me that i won't need a new set and that it would be a waste of money to buy one, and even told me not to buy a stethescope... but i think i'll end up getting my own - i feel like i want SOMETHING of my own to mark the start of med school! anyway, if/when i get teased, i'll just think about the $$$ i've saved :lol

mosquitoba

I have my grandfather's microscope from when he was in medical school in the 1930's. It has a mirror that you reflect candle light off of to light up your specimen. It's pretty neat, but not something I'll be carting around with me. ;)

Guest seedstrike

you don't need a microscope anyways.

Pretty much all you need is your stethoscope. Sphygmomanometers (sp?) are in all the rooms. So are ophthalmoscopes. You might want to invest in a reflex hammer and the two tuning forks.

Like JC said, all of these purchases can be made after school starts at the equipment sale...for a much better price.

Guest seedstrike

Some schools in the states still require you to buy one. My sister went to one there and she had to dish out some good money for a microscope...i ended up inheriting it and now it sits in my storage room.

Guest opiedog

Dad's are often wise in their advice....especially if they have already walked the path you are heading out on.

Regarding stethoscopes....I HATE it when people ask to borrow mine, mostly from a hygiene standpoint. The thought of my nice clean, personal ear adapters being stuck in someone elses cerumen filled canals grosses me out! I've yet to see someone offer to wipe off the ear peices before giving it back either. Have you ever looked in the holes of the ear adapters on a "publicly used" stethoscope? Eek!

Call me anal, but I'd rather think of myself as aural:)

Archived