Premed 101 Forums

Hey everyone! I'd love some insight on this. I may be selecting u of t and I live in Barrie Ontario. It's about an hour to 1.5 hour commute depending on traffic. Does anyone have insight to the schedule to suggest if this is a horrible idea??? Many students say they do less traditional studying than undergrad, and I think I could make it work. I'd love input from current students or those applying and maybe commuting!

I live in Bradford and commuted to downtown Toronto one summer for work. The pros are you save a lot of money!!! However, theres always traffic and it would take me 1-1.5 hours, and if theres bad weather or accidents up til 2 hours. If you take the GO train, you could study on it, I know people that do that now. You would have to transfer on the subway to get to UofT though, and there are often TTC delays. But lots of people do it! I personally found it a living hell, always so much traffic and construction, and in the winter I know bad weather is common. And UofT doesnt really give snow days :( I wouldve preferred to live by my work, as commuting really drained me and was exhausted in the evenings and wasnt always up for seeing friends, family, etc. 

I lived north of Stouffville for the 2 year program and took the GO train every day. I never took the TTC in the city except for placements or when it was raining once I got to union station - it’s only a 20 minute walk to the Rehab building. I would do most of my studying in the quiet zone on the GO train and it really worked for my situation! It is definitely possible, but you have to be prepared for early mornings!

Great points mentioned above! I also wanted to note that while you can study during your commute, you should also factor in that you will be using time outside of class to practice clinical skills with classmates. This can definitely stretch out your day for longer than you planned and can be extra exhausting if you commute.