Premed 101 Forums

Last 2 Years??

Guest RXK

Hello all,

quick question: does uwo look at your 2 most recent undergraduate years (with 5 equivalent courses each year) for their gpa calculation? or, do they consider all undergrad. years??...

i've tried finding this information on the university's website, but it seems to be down and is not responding....(has anyone else had the same trouble entering the site??)

thanks in advance,

RXK

• 4 months later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118447460</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>Western</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>mcurazon</username>

<dateline>1094514240</dateline>

<title>Western</title>

<pagetext>Is it just me, or are there no essays or long answer questions to answer for Western other than the "Specify the highschool from which you graduated" question?...

Guest Elaine I

You are correct. Western offers interviews based on your MCAT and GPA. Offers of admission are based 50% on your interview and 25% on each of your MCAT and your GPA.

Elaine

Guest Gill0927

I haven't seen this year's application, but I know that last year there weren't any questions/essays specific to Western. As far as I know, UWO doesn't use a sketch/essay to assess applicants.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

Gill

There are no essay or other school specific questions for UWO. Western does not believe that they are a time-efficient or objective way to evaluate applicants... nor is there any research showing that they correlate well with success.

UWO also does not look at your sketch or your reference letters... except in extenuating circumstances...

To get an interview, you need to meet the MCAT cuts (all of them) and have one full time (5.0 course/30 credit hours) year that is above the GPA cut.

Ultimate admissions decisions are based on best year GPA, MCAT and interview score (with interview most heavily weighted). The old 25/25/50 scheme has not been confirmed for this year yet... but it can be considered a rough guideline.

Guest UWOMED2005

To get the interview, only one year is required (as long as you're still in school.) Two years above the cutoff are needed to actually get in.

That's because, if you're in your last year of studies, UWO admissions isn't going to have to access to your marks for that last year before deciding on interviews. So they give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you will make the cutoff, but will rescind any offers if they find out you didn't end up making that GPA cutoff.

Guest nalbaqui

well when i was looking through the website, it said that u have to have a 3.70 GPA at least, in every semester for 4 years...is that true??! or did i totally read it incorrectly?

Guest Gill0927

I think you read the website incorrectly. What UWOmeds2005 said is right -- you need to attain a cut-off average (this past app cycle it was 3.70) for two full time years, which includes the year you're completing while applying (if you want it to be included). That's it...not for 3 or 4 years, just 2, and if you're including your current academic year, then you just have to have one over the cut-off to be granted an interview, because they won't have your current year's grades. It should be noted that the years you include must be full time, meaning 5 full or 10 half courses.

Hope this helps,

Gill

You read it incorrectly...

What you need to have is a 3.70 GPA (or higher) in your two BEST full time years. Both years must be independently over the cut, not the average of the two years.

I am not sure where you got the information you did... this is what the website says:

"The SECOND minimum criteria to be satisfied this year is a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.70

Although careful assessment is made of the academic record throughout all years at university, the academic marks obtained during two undergraduate years will be used to formulate your grade point average (five full courses in each of two years (30 credit hours), September to April, will be considered. "

Guest nalbaqui

i am sorry, that was a typo. i meant 4 semesters. but do they have to be consecutive then?

and about the credit-hour system, roboboy69, i know a lot of the liberal arts colleges in USA use it.

thanks...

Guest Steve U of T
i am sorry, that was a typo. i meant 4 semesters. but do they have to be consecutive then?

They look at 2 September-April school years, not 4 semesters. The 2 years don't have to be consecutive, but those 2 semesters within the year must be.

With regards to credit hours, I think UBC uses them, as do a few other schools in Canada, in addition to many US schools. The back of my U of T transcript very clearly indicates that each 1.0 full credit equivalent equals 6 credit hours, and presumably most other universities include such a conversion scale on their transcripts too.

That is correct.

UWO looks at two full Sept-April years... the two years do not need to be consecutive... you can use your 1st and 2nd, 1st and 3rd, 2nd and 3rd, 1st and 4th, etc. The only rules are that they BOTH must be full time, they BOTH must be from the same degree and they BOTH must independently meet the GPA cut.

You do not need to have 4 semesters that are above the cut... so long as each whole year (2 consecutive semesters) that you are using are above the GPA cut... UWO does not calculate semester GPA's... they take all of the courses you have done between Sept and April and calculate a YEAR GPA.

• 9 months later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>Last 2 Years??</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>Last 2 Years??</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Archived