Premed 101 Forums

UWO Class of 2006

Guest TimmyMax

Guest TimmyMax

Hey all,

This is basically a reprint of Aneliz's original post from the Mac forum, but I thought it would be appropriate to place here for all those interested.

UWO Meds Class of 2006

total applications: 1489 (I thought that this number was 1789- can anyone else confirm? -TM)

total interviews: 417

total offers made: 234

total seats in class: 133

53% male, 47% female (reflected applicant pool)

120 are from Ontario

6 are from BC

3 are from Alberta

3 are from Nova Scotia

1 is from New Brunswick.

5 have or will have a masters degree

0 have Phd

Average age: 23

133 were single at the time of application (has since dropped to 132- congrats to Sharon and Jay! :) -TM)

These stats were presented by the chair of the admissions commitee at the white coat ceremony on Aug 28, 2002.

Props to Aneliz for the great memory! :)

Best of luck!

Timmy

Hey Tim,

There were 1685 applicants (it's posted on UWO's MCAT/GPA cutoff page). Also, there's another guy in our class who's also married, I believe. Hope everyone enjoyed orientation week, because the actual school stuff seems to be piling on already...

I think that the 1685 might have been the number of applicants for the 2005 class because I remember seeing it on the UWO website last year too. I could be wrong though.... I think that Tim's memory of the actual number sounds the best to me. Having not taken notes at the White coat, my memory is a little clouded on that (realtively unimportant) number. :)

Guest TimmyMax

Hey aneliz,

Are you implying that I took notes at the White Coat Ceremony?!? Nothing could be farther from the truth- I was totally impressed that you were able to recall all that info, to be perfectly honest. Besides, didn't they give us course notes for the White Coat ceremony? Hee, hee! ;)

Tim

Guest UWOMED2005

No, they won't be giving you the notes for the White Coat ceremony. That reminds me - on the first quarter exams you might have a question like "Give a Brief synopsis of the History of Western Medicine." That question relates to the lecture Dr. Potter? will be giving you about MEDICINE IN THE WEST, not the White Coat ceremony spiel about the history of the medical school at UWO. A couple of the 2004s made that mistake a few years back. :)

Guest therealcrackers

even acing Dr. Potter's exam question in Q1 will not erase the memory of your class losing the boat race at Fanshawe (admittedly very closely) to the 2005s---at least those damned cheating third years didn't pull it off. :lol

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Yeah, at least we played by the rules, unlike a certain team we could mention...but oh well, it was an exciting race and a great time nonetheless- despite our disadvantage, we nearly pulled it off. We'll have to have class tryouts for next year's team such that we aren't handicapped so badly next year.

Of course, then there was that other race where the 2004s had their lunches soundly handed to them in the most corrupt thing I've ever had the misfortune of watching. Why didn't they just take their drinks and dump them on the ground? That would eliminate the middle man and alleviate the wet chin/beer in lap problems that seemed to plague their team. Anyway, I'm glad you guys won so it will be that much more satisfying when our class destroys both you guys AND the 2007s next year! B'wha ha ha!

Timmy

Guest therealcrackers

From what I understand, your class has already been doing more than a little recreational practicing thus far...

but it's a really cool class. The helmet rack will be a nice touch in DS 1002.

• 2 months later...
Guest therealcrackers

It's three months later on. The class of 2K6 has been training both for second quarter exams in two weeks and for the boat races to come in --- zowee --- nine months' time. My question is... when's the helmet rack going up? And will it be next to Pam's stocking?

Pam's stocking is at the front of the room....I think that the helmets will be at the back....unfortunately administration has balked at us altering the room in anyway because, even though it feels like home (ie week eat and sleep there daily!) it isn't exclusively our room.....they won't let us decorate the bulletin board or put up another one so I doubt that the helmet rack is going to go over too well....

Guest therealcrackers

We have heard 133 for 2007, and no one has a clue for 2008---because by then the northern medical school should be accepting applications as well.

Class size for next year (meds 2007) will remain at 133 until further notice. (Contrary to earlier rumors) Western is having real difficulty accomodating the increased class size that we have with 133. (24 people from our class will be going to Windsor for clerkship because there is not enough space for all of us in London). To go larger will be a nightmare...but it is entirely dependent on the proclamations of our ever wonderful and benevolent provincial government. I wouldn't think that the class will increase in 2008 either. By then the Northern school will theoretically be open and some of the extra seats that have been placed in the existing Ontario schools may be redistributed to the northern school.

Archived