Premed 101 Forums

When do I need to send MCAT score by?

Guest archchivalry

Guest archchivalry

I'm writing August MCAT this year, and they say the result will be out by 60 days after the test.

I'm planning to apply med school this year, and some of the med schools I'm applying have a deadline at early Octboer (including UBC, which was Octboer 1st).

I was wondering if I need to send the MCAT score by the deadline..or is it OK to send it after the score is released?(I mean like after the deadline, which would be late Oct)

I was also wondering if I needed to submit EVERYTHING by that deadline(including reference letters, transcripts..etc)

My questions may sound really silly, but it's my first time applying to med schools, so please be kind :P

Thanks.

Guest Madz25

Everything needs to be sent by the deadline - sometimes there are exceptions for reference letters as your referees need to get them submitted. But make sure you give them enough time so they DO get them in by the deadline!

MCAT is also an exception. Release your scores ASAP - ie. after they are released because you have no choice but to wait until they are! This will be about 2 weeks after the deadline of some schools.

Madz

Guest archchivalry

Wow..that was super fast reply..Thanks:)

I was going to start filling application thing after the August MCAT..would it be too late? should I start taking care of those things even before my Aug. MCAT?

(I haven't done any research for individual schools I'm applying to..should I do it earlier than mid Aug?)

Thanks again:)

Guest Faith

Archchivalry,

You mentioned UBC and I just wanted to point out that their deadline has moved this year and is actually September 7. It's up to you as to when you start your application, but given the earlier deadline this year I would consider starting before you write the MCAT.

In previous cycles you have been able to indicate that you are "awaiting MCAT scores" if you write in August. You then have until November to provide UBC with your scores. This is how it worked last year.

The UBC application form will be online in a few weeks (June 15ish). You will be able to create a user name and log in and out as you please. Maybe you should check it out online! The instructions are very thorough also, so this might help you decide when you need to fill it out. In these instructions you will also find information about transcripts and reference letters. At UBC last year, transcripts were due by the fall application deadline and reference letters were due in March IF you had received an interview.

I hope this is of some help. This is just my experience from applying previously.

Best of luck!

Guest Madz25

You can start your applications whenever you want. Just make sure you have sufficient time to do a GOOD job on them and wont be rushing to submit - especially for online applications as servers can get really slow. I would suggest starting before the MCAT.

Madz

Guest treehuggingbiologist

I'd start your application as early as possible to avoid the last minute rush. But don't let it affect your MCAT studying - you need both to be strong.

Guest archchivalry

Thanks so much for the information guys..esp Faith, I would have missed the deadline if I didn't know that..

I think I should start make a list of schools I will be applying and look it up..

Archived