Premed 101 Forums

London residential areas...

Guest bad hombre

Guest therealcrackers

But lcloh, the practical point is the way the buildings are constructed, you rarely have to run both. The top floor is like a hothouse, and the basement is cool all year. So up top in the summer, you cool everyone's accumulated hot air, but it helps in the winter; and on the ground floor you heat earth for everyone in the winter, but the cool stays with you in the summer.

The difference between the top and bottom floors of the house that still (still!) has vacancies at 16 Paperbirch Cres, 25 min' walk from school, with good amenities and a school-bound bus stop 2 min' walk from the door... is similar, but to a much smaller degree.

Guest aneliz

Exactly...those on the top floors will rarely (if ever) use the heat significantly - so their hydro bills are very cheap (compared to those that would freeze without heat on the bottom floors) in the winter. However, they pay big bucks in the summer....because their places suck the heat off of the rest of the building, they must use the A/C or die of heat....so their bills are big in the summer.

Meanwhile, the people on the bottom, would freeze without significant heater use in the winter....(hence big bucks in winter) but they remain cool in the summer and rarely (if ever) use the A/C. I would imagine that only those on the 2nd/3rd floor would use both heat and A/C significantly...those on the top or bottom use one or the other, depending on the season and have cheap hydro bills in the off season.

Guest lcloh

I get what you're saying... I'm saying that if someone was a real big spender and wanted to be sauna-ish during the winter and arctic in the summer, it'd probably cost them $125.

Guest lcloh

If Southcrest is where I think it is, it's in the SW corner of London and really really far from campus (that's where the #11 Southcrest bus goes.) You'd probably have to take three buses to get to UWO.

Guest rpm45

Alright then, I guess I'll look elsewhere. Thanks!

I'm really thinking of Jacksway or 695 Richmond. I know there's a Loblaws and a mall near Jacksway. Is it just as convenient at Richmond?

Guest rpm45

And it's where many other Meds live too, right?

By the way, is there central air in both places? I saw on a listing that Masonville Gardens has no central air, but wondered whether it was a typo. I suppose top floor with no air conditioning is ghastly.

Guest Interleukin

Anyone have info/recommendations/thoughts about Kipps Lane appts?

It's just off Adelaide between Huron and Windermere.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I know a house on Paperbirch Crescent that has central air...and it's a lot closer to UWO than Kipps Lane- picture taking one direct bus versus like three (or a 20 minute walk versus an hour and a half). Did I mention that the excellent roommates that currently occupy this place are looking for a couple more??? Just a thought...

Tim

Guest aneliz

There is NO central air at Masonville Gardens (Jacksway)...it is the one MAJOR drawback to the place...depending on what floor you are on and which direction you face.

You are right, top floor - especially south facing - is ghastly in summer....you could cook on your kitchen floor in there!!! However, running window a/c will cost you a pile....think min. $125/month hydro! It comes down to a balancing act between how much you can afford and how badly you hate the heat....

I am happy that I have relocated from a 4th floor, south facing unit to a 3rd floor north facing unit....it makes a HUGE difference!!! So if you are going to go Masonville, choose your floor wisely....because while the ground floor may be nice and cool in summer, it is DAMN cold in the winter....meanwhile, the top is a sauna in summer, but is nice and toasty...with minimum $$$ input from you....in the winter.

However....I do know of a really nice house with central air, heat, a big deck and a nice backyard...and two great housemates....e-mail timmyMax if you're interested....

Guest toothy jr

I walk to school on Sarnia every day during the summer, and there's this dog that (according to the map) lives close to 16 Paperbirch. It's always barking at me when I least expect it, I'm sure I've lost 10 years off my lifespan because of this. So, be warned. But 20 minutes walking is a conservative estimate because it's faster when you cut through Brescia.

Guest therealcrackers

I think I know the dog you're talking about. I walk that way to school most days in the school year. But you can't hear him from the house! Small blessings... like the turtle and the central air. Actually the last one is A BIG BLESSING...

Archived