Premed 101 Forums

Waiting list

Guest Justaguy

Guest Justaguy

Anybody know how long the waitlist is?

I hate this... more waiting for an offer than may never come.

I have two waiting list positions (Western and Queens)... anyone think I have an OK chance?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest waitlisted

Hey all,

Is it true that everyone who does not get an initial acceptance is placed on a waiting list? Their letter does not say much in terms of how many people were put on the list nor do they tell us our ranking on the wait list. Moreover, is it true that only 130 acceptances were sent out for the approx 130 seats for this year or do they send out more acceptances than seats available?

I would appreciate any responses regarding this matter because I feel so lost at this point.

VS

Guest TimmyMax

Hey guys!

I heard that last year UWO sent 189 acceptances from 133 seats and that yes, the waitlist does move. There are numerous examples of current UWO Meds students getting in off the waitlist in the literature. So hope is not lost just yet- you never know when that magical phone call may come!

Take care and best of luck!

The TimmyMax

Guest monkey

as has been stated many times, in the end (whcih is what really matters), about 189 ppl were contacted last yr for 118 seats. so dont loose heart if u're on the waiting list. UWO DOES send out rejections...so dont worry that u're either in the waitlisted/rejected or accepted pool.

hope that helps

monkey

Guest monkey

WOAH! didnt realize i would be saying the same stuff as Tim within 40 seconds of a difference (well according to the website!)...but yea keep hope. i havent gotten my letter yet so i'm such a wreck right now!!

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

No problem there, Monkey, seems like we've both become check-this-board-a-holics in the greatest sense of the word, although your data is more accurate than mine (there are 133 spots this year; last year there were 118, but 189 acceptances went out regardless). Any news yet?

Best of luck, all! :)

The TimmyMax

Guest Feathers McGraw

hey justaguy, are you from Windsor?

Just thought I'd ask... and add that I totally agree with you, waitlists in someway are worse than the refusal letters. Hang in there.

Guest monkey

TimmyMax,

it sucks that i'm at work and no one is at home. and no one is gonna get home before 9pm. so it really bites. but i'm wishing and hoping and praying i got accepted. i am really glad you got accepted coz u were so pumped about your interview and all of your posts give me the impression u r an amazing guy.

monkey

Guest TimmyMax

Hey monkey,

Thanks, dude- I'm hoping you get the magical big envelope as well! The med school community needs more awesome people such as yourself and I'm pulling for you! Let me know the verdict, but I'm sure we'll all hear one way or another!

May there be a thickvelope waiting for you @ home!

The TimmyMax

Guest waiting

Does everyone who was not initially accepted at UWO get out on the waiting list or do some people get rejected and not put on the list?

Guest Waitlist

I am now procrastinating from exam studying, but when I applied (twice) to UWO, the rumour was that all 400 of the interviewees are either in or put on the waitlist. That puts the waitlist at over 250+ people...

I have no idea why UWO would do that and why they insist on keeping people in the dark.

I don't think I've heard of anyone getting an interview and then getting an outright rejection letter afterwards. All waitlist, as perhaps the evidence from this board shows.

Guest Augz

Justaguy! i hope that by my user name you recognize a fellow massey alum. Whats yur phone numba in windsor? if sending it out thro the internet is sketch, then you can always email me at augz@hotmail.com

from talking to my upper year friends, the chances of getting in off the waiting list is really good. I think that UWO's waiting list will move quick because only 133 offers were sent out for 133 spots, and of that, a ton of spots will be often after the 1st round. 2nd round offers happen later this month i gather.

plus, (this may be a rumour), if you politely ask Anne Cumpson in person (Queens), she mite tell you your rank on the waiting list IF YOU ARE IN THE TOP 20. a friend of mine 2 years ago found out he was number 6, and got an offer in late june.

For all of you still waiting, i share your pain. it gets to the point where you dont want to do a thing and yur just racked with all this useless tension and anxiety. cheer up because i think the majority of you will eventually have a happy ending.

Guest UWOMED2005

I'm not sure about rejections from UWO. . . I've heard rumours either way. Can't really check with my classmates. . . none of them got a rejection letter.

189 for 118 is correct. . . there are 133 spots this year though, so interpret that however you will.

A lot of them DID get waitlisted though. . . so the waitlist does move. Try posting on the Meds2006 Admissions forum at Western (http://www.mni.uwo.ca/discus) - Ray and Ambrose (our class admissions reps) check there often and should be able to answer your questions.

Good Luck!

Guest UWOMED2005

Interesting - I just got an e-mail from what I'll call an "inside source" that will remain anonymous (but they're extremely reliable, BTW.) Apparently UWO absolutely DOES sent out rejections. . . for each question you guys answered, apparently you were given a score by each interviewer of either "highly recommended," "acceptable," or "unacceptable." If more than one of the interviewers put down an "unacceptable" for any question, that applicant was automatically rejected.

CORRECTION: actually that "unacceptable" answer is given for the entire interview, not each question. So one bad answer won't torpedo you, but it is possible to get outright rejected from the interview.

Hope this helps - Good Luck!

Guest aneliz

wow... scary interview scoring.... but just goes to show that your 'gut' feeling apres interview doesn't necessarily match what the interviewers thought.... I thought that my interview was less than stellar and that there were a couple of questions that I absolutely shot myself in the head during... guess not eh?

Guest monkey

Hey Timmymax,

thought i'd let you know that u're a psychic! i did have a thick package sitting at home waiting for me to tear it to bits. i am still so excited by the first two lines "On behalf of the Medicine Admissions Commitee, faculty of medicien and dentistry, it is our PLEASURE (sigh.....:) ) to offer you admission to first year medicine at UWO for the 2002-2003 academic session...

so i might see you in september (i am contemplating UWO vs. UA, not sure which one to go with since i live closer to UA then UWO).

cheers!

monkey

Guest waiting

Thanks for that tip, UWO2005. I am keeping my hopes up that the waiting list will move! Do you know how many people get waitlisted or how many people are rejected?

Let me know!

Guest TimmyMax

Hey monkey,

Congrats again on the great news. As for the UA vs. UWO debate, everyone knows all the cool kids go to Western. Well, that's just what I heard from current UWO Meds students- it has to be true, though. ;)

It kind of sucks that you're from Alberta, seeing as how you have a real dilemma on your hands (aside from where the cool kids go, of course). I hope you choose Western, but then again, you have to do what's best for your situation, which kind of blows. Regardless, let us know what you decide! :)

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest monkey

Thanks TimmyMax. Actually since you know a lot of people from UWO2005 class, is anyone from alberta who went to UWO and wouldnt mind talking to me? i would love to talk to them, ask them their reasons and thoughts on my dilemma. i mean, even though i would love to go to UWO (isnt the campus beautiful? and the city?!) i am really torn over the financial factor and fact that UA is close. damn!!!!

Thanks again. cheers!

Guest TimmyMax

Hey monkey,

Unfortunately of the UWO Meds 2005ers I've talked to, I don't remember any being from Alberta offhand, but this does not mean that they don't exist. THe best thing to do is to go the UWO Med 2005 website and post a message on the Meds 2006 Admissions board- here is the link:

www.mni.uwo.ca/discus

Once there, click on Meds 2006 Admissions, select which forum to post on and fire away. The page is monitored regularly by a number of 2005 students and they are very good about making sure your question gets answered quickly and accurately. I'm sure that you will be able to get in touch with someone from Alberta this way!

Best of luck and hoping you choose UWO! :)

Tim

Anyone know how many people are on the waitlist? I know rejections were sent out, but if there are still 200 people on the waitlist then our chances still aren't good at all.

Guest Da Birdie

Does anyone know if no mail = PFO from UWO?!

still haven't gotten nuthin from western :(

Do they actually send out rejection letters?!

thanx

Guest reddyr

I was waitlisted by UWO and have just assumed it a rejection and moved on with my life and to plan B. The waitlist is most likely 200 people and you have to be in the top 50 to get a spot. Odds are not good and I don't want to spend the rest of the summer looking at the phone jumping at every call hoping it's UWO. It will drive you crazy. Trust me, if you were waitlisted anywhere and not at other schools, take time to let the bad feelings and anxiety dissapate and resolve to move on with your life and to the next set of goals, be they reapplication or something else. It will give you some peace of mind.

Guest reddyr

let me clarify,

keep your name on the waiting list, but set in your mind that you will pursue plan B. That way you can have a little peace of mind. IF they call then it will be a wonderful surprise. If they don't, you've already started working on plan B and it's less of a hit.

Archived