Premed 101 Forums

Western applicants (2003)

Guest Krish

Hi,

I was wondering whether a medical student at UWO can inquire at the admissions office as to the number of applicants who have applied for admission to UWO's medical program for September 2003. I know in the Queens Board, somebody has inquired and the applications for 2003 have decreased.

The reason for my curiosity, because with 17% increase in applications this year as reported by OMSAS, I am praying that UWO won't change their MCAT cut-offs as I have a 9 in VR and am in the borderline.

Thanks,

Krish

Guest hmsdread

Hey Krish,

Aneliz and/or TimmyMax may know this already. If not, they will eventually, as they are the admissions reps for our class. As soon as they see this post I'm sure they'll respond to your question.

hmsdread

Guest UWOMED2005

Hey Kirsteen - check the Queen's section of the board. It's the most recent post. . . I think the numbers have gone from the 1500 range to the 1300 range, but the exact figures are posted in the Queen's section.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I can confirm that the number of applications to UWO has decreased this year. Unless I'm mistaken (and aneliz can confirm/clarify these numbers) applications are down from about 1,700 last year to around 1,400 this year. Some of this can no doubt be attributed to applicants being able to know their MCAT scores before the deadline, which in turn can explain the decrease at Queen's and the increase at Mac and Ottawa (not sure about UT), if you'd like to consider things that way.

When I applied last year, we weren't able to find out before the deadline, so you just crossed your fingers, and hoped that you didn't just make a $75 donation to the schools you missed the cut for!

So the news with UWO is that applications are down, but the numbers quoted are subject to verification.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Hey everybody,

The official word is that there are 1534 applicants for UWO meds 2007. This is down 156 from last year BUT I imagine that the difference is primarily due to the early availability of MCAT scores. This likely removed 156 people with LOW MCAT scores from the bottom of the applicant pool. As these people really don't influence the MCAT cut-offs, and would not have been interviewed, I highly doubt that this difference in applicant numbers will SIGNIFICANTLY alter the cut-offs for either GPA or MCAT in either direction. If you were borderline using last year's formula, you are probably still borderline now and you will have to cross your fingers and wait to see what happens. The loss of 156 people from the bottom of the pool will not change the chances of getting in for those at the top of the pool. As always, the number of interviews given will be about 400 and the chances of getting in has not (and will not) be changed.

According to OMSAS, applications are up overall, down at all of the schools that require the MCAT (UofT, UWO and Queens)and UP (to a huge degree) at Mac and Ottawa.

Good luck!

Archived