Premed 101 Forums

MCAT cutoffs..

Guest PARTY cal

Guest PARTY cal

I think it is getting close to when they will post the MCAT cutoffs. I am right on the borderline right now and I really hope they do not go up.

Any indications that the cutoff will be raised this year??

MCAT cut-offs will be determined at the admissions meeting on January 31st....so don't go looking for them before then! :)

Either Tim or I will post them on this forum as soon as we know them....trust us, we will!

We have no idea (and neither do the faculty as of yet) what will happen with either the GPA or MCAT cuts for this year. They are dependent entirely upon the applicant pool. The cuts are set so that the applicant pool is trimmed down to about 420 people....(a number that is reasonable to interview for 133 spots). I don't think that anybody has really looked at the stats for this year's applicant pool yet...and if they have, they aren't telling.

Try to relax (hard I know) but there is nothing that you can do right now!

The historical cut-offs are as follows:

Class of 2006

GPA: 3.65

MCAT: 9's and P

Class of 2005

GPA: 3.60

MCAT: minimums for each section but there was also a combined minimum score for BS+PS and WS+VR. Getting the bare minimums in each category would not satisfy the combined minimums....I don't remember the numbers...maybe Crackers or UWOMED2005 remember?

Class of 2004

No idea what their cut-offs were....

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

These are the MCAT cutoffs for 2005. They are very convoluted, hence the change for 2006, I assume.

1. Must attain a minimum of: 8 VR, 8 PS, 8 BS, P WS

2. Must attain combined sums of 18 for PS + BS and 21 for VR + WS- VR score at face value + scaled WS score (J=4, T=14; example- P=10, S=13, etc.)

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest UWOMED2005

I'm going on memory for this one, but I'm almost 100% certain the GPA cutoff for the 2004 class was 3.65, just like the 2006 class. Don't remember the MCAT cutoff, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same (9/9/9 P) as well.

I don't remember the cutoffs for 2003, but I do know at one point in the near past the cutoff was in the 3.5s. I'm pretty sure that was the cutoff listed in the summer 2000 edition of "The Black Book on Med School Admissions" by Dr. Ferdinand meaning that cutoff was probably used some time in the late 90s.

I have heard (second hand) that the cut-offs have gone as low as a 3.5 in the past and that MCAT cuts have gone as low as 7's?! Obviously not for a few years though....bottom line is that the cut-offs are determined by the applicant pool and they tend to fluctuate each year. If you think that you are borderline, apply anyway, cross your fingers and hope...but remember that you can't get accepted if you don't apply.

I can with 100% certainty tell you that the GPA cutoff for the 2004 class was 3.65 in both best year and final year.

3.5 was the cutoff for the class of 2001.

Ah yes...the dreaded final year GPA...happily it is now a part of western admissions history....you still need two years over the cut-off but your final year doesn't have to be one of them....I'm sure that there will be much dancing in the streets over that decision (and much moaning from those that got screwed by this rule last year...)

Archived