Premed 101 Forums

Summer School

Guest neddy15

Guest neddy15

Hi! Does anyone know if western or any other med schools consider our summer school marks in their GPA calculations, or they don't count. Thanks!

Guest Ian Wong

Hi Neddy,

You should really check out the UWO Meds website (put together by the UWO admissions committee folks) for these types of factual questions. These forums are great for soliciting opinions, but when it comes to crunch time, it's the admissions committee that will be looking at your transcript. Your question is covered in the Frequently Asked Questions of the UWO Meds website. If you scroll down about halfway, you will see it:

www.med.uwo.ca/admiss/admfaq-2003.htm

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> SUMMER COURSES

Summer courses may be taken for prerequisites, however, the marks will not be counted in the overall GPA and the course will not be counted as part of the September to April course load. <!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest UWOMED2005

Excellent point Ian - this forum is great for information, but sometimes us moderators do make mistakes. . . you really should check such 'factual' info with the schools themselves.

That being said. . . most schools I encountered did NOT include summer courses in their GPA calculation.

Guest 9901birdie

hmm..is this true for current applicants?

"b) Non-Science Courses (as interpreted by Western's Academic Calendar)

A total of three full, or equivalent, non-science courses, at least one of which must be an essay course*.

*Validity of essay course will be audited. "

[www.med.uwo.ca/ADMISS/adm...m#ACADEMIC]

or is THIS true?

"- two full or equivalent non-science courses from different disciplines. These may be taken at the first year level.

- one full or equivalent senior non-science course from one of the two disciplines chosen above (to show progression). " [www.med.uwo.ca/admiss/adm...EREQUISITE]

In short, do we need the senior year none-sci course (that shows progression) if we are current applicants?

Guest UWOMED2005

Don't worry - what they mean is a full year course (ie 3 of them), not a full year of courses.

I'm not sure which it is. I know for us it was 3 full non-science courses, one in 2nd year (I almost got buggered on this myself - check some of my other posts!) And I'm pretty sure they're moving to 3 non-science courses, one an essay course for next year. . . in fact, I'm pretty sure the FAQ on the website is for next years applications, not this year! (Don't ask why. . . right now, the Western Faculty of Meds website is kind of in disarray - in fact, I'm pretty sure another Western student who posts here, awong37, has been asked to help them revamp their current website!) But to be honest, I DON'T know what the requirement is for this year. I'm pretty sure that question has been answered on the admissions forum Alex Wong (awong37) set up for western applicants: http://www.mni.uwo.ca/discus. Select "MEDS2006 Admissions."

If that requirement has not been filled and you're worried about it, call Barbara Radford and Darla McNeil at the UWO Meds admissions office (I've posted the phone number here elsewhere, it's in the UWO interview invite stuff, and it's also in the OMSAS stuff.) They'll clear up any questions for you. . . in fact, they cleared up that very question for myself last year. And don't worry about it TOO much - worse comes to worse, you should be able to make that requirement up in the summer. But talk to them.

I called them up, and they told me you need one credit at the 2nd year level or above. They said "ideally", the 2nd year credit should show progression but it isnt a hard and fast rule. But I'm actually taking a summer school credit to get that last 2nd year 0.5 credit. (I've got 3 non-science... just all in first year).

oh yeah, i guess another thing is that this applies for the 2005 class (current applicants)... the 2006 class (for next year) won't hafta have the 3rd credit at the 2nd year level but can get away with 3 non-science from any year.

Guest 9901birdie

Thanx augs for sharing this info :)

I'll take different non-sci courses this summer depending on what news is in the June 3rd mail from uwo :P

Guest confused

so, for current applicants, all we need are 3 non-science courses from any year? is that essay component necessary for this year, or is that only starting next year? and when they say it needs an essay component, does that mean the essay must be a separately graded assignment, or would an essay component on the tests count? questions, questions, questions......

Guest confused again

oops, i misread the previous posts.. now i know we need one course at the 2nd year level or higher, but i still need to know about this essay component... thx!

Guest cheech10

From my understanding it is:

Current applicants: 3 non sci courses, one at 2nd year level/progression thing

Applicants for 2003 entry: 3 non sci courses, with essay thing

The essay thing appears on the FAQ for 2003 entry if I'm not mistaken. For the current cycle, the requirement did not change.

Thats basically how I understood things when i talked with 'em.

Barbara said it was okay to have say, first year econ and first year psych combo'd with a 2nd year psych. These courses are definitely NOT essay courses. (this is for the 2005 class).

but the 2006 class needs an essay course..something like history or english.

i just wish i read the UWO fine print before changing my schedule this year to satisfy U of T's rules (60% of courses at 4th year level or above).

its kinda stupid because being in 4th year, the only upper year courses i can take are all science courses. being an idiot, i took a lot of math courses over 4 years (i enjoy it) which for some reason qualifies as a science where psych doesnt (haha... i guess everyone has doubts about psychology's validity).

ah well, you live n learn.

Hey augz... just so people don't get confused... the current first year class is the class of 2005... the current applicants if accepted would be the class of 2006. WE don't need the essay course. Alright, that being said... Augz... do you go to Queens?

OH... and U of T would be satisfied with 60% of (3rd OR 4th) year classes if you are in 4th year as they recognize the difficulty of finding good 4th year classes.

Did that make any sense? All i'm saying is that you could have taken 3rd year classes.

I'm done.

sigh..

if that is true then i curse U of T.

i actually called them up last september and they said i needed 4th year courses cuz I'm in 4th year.

Yup, I go 2 Queens.. basically, my user name is the name everyone calls me. My full name is Augustine. (haha... oh crap.. I've been exposed).

ah well. the non-science extra credit I hafta take wont be too bad.

Guest UWOMED2005

Don't worry too much. . . if you are short that upper year non-science credit, I'm pretty sure you can complete it over the summer (as long as you don't have to take all the other prereqs as well!). Unfortunately, that does mean summer school (or correspondence).

Guest summers

if we have the need to take a summer school course to fulfill our requirements, do we have to let the adcom know that we intend to do this? or do they just check for your requirements at the end of the summer? i need to take another non-science course this summer, so just want to make sure i don't get disqualified because i didn't notify them.

Hey --

So, if we haven't finished our Western prereqs, and we're accepted, we can finish them the summer immediately before starting med school. That's what you're saying, right?

But as students, we almost certainly won't get our acceptances until way after the start of summer school. So, do people just wait, and if they feel good about their interviews, take a summer course just in case?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

-me

Guest murdock

I called the admissions office a while ago and asked them that, and they said that they will not consider whether you have completed the prereqs before they offer you admission. But, you do have to do them over the summer.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Just to make it perfectly clear- if you do not have the UWO prereqs, even at the end of this year, it WILL NOT jeopardize your application. You will have the opportunity to make up the required courses in the summer, which is what a lot of people do.

Oh, and just in response to another thread, the Meds class at UWO is anything but ugly, especially that UWOMED2005 guy- he's a prime piece of, ahem, work! :) Best of luck with the rest of your exams, cuz I'm a dot on the horizon!

Take care,

Tim

Guest TimmyMax

Hey UWOMED2005,

Sorry about my last comment there- the Leafs are getting killed and I had to direct my sudden surge of post-exam energy somewhere! Take care!

Tim

Guest UWOMED2005

No worries at all Tim. Though it doesn't really matter though if the Leafs win this round. . . Cujo's old as dirt and the Sens are a new team this year. . . your Leafs are going down!

Guest McGillBoy

So Sorry to all you petty Leafs fans, and Sens fans for that matter too. The Habs are the team to beat - they got the spirit, stamina and heart to go all the way. They are Canada's only team - GO HABS GO!! Did everyone see Saku last night? What a champion!

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah. . . I actually caught the game Sunday night at the Fleet Center in Boston (total fluke - it was my first playoff game; I was on a Rugby tour of New England and the Harvard rugby team wussed out of our game) They looked extremely sharp, with the exception of the first 8 minutes where they let in 4 goals. . .

And noone beats Dougy Gilmour. Except maybe Daniel Alfredson.

Archived