Premed 101 Forums

Questions about Western - curriculum, student life, etc.

Guest UWOMED2005

Guest UWOMED2005

Yep. This year's class is 118, next year 133. They made the announcement BEFORE acceptances were sent out this year so there's little chance that number will increase over the summer, as it has the last two years. For the record, the Western Meds 2007 class will be something like 148 or 149 students. Yikes!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest UWOMED2005

I think this question has been answered multiple times on this forum and on the UWO Meds2006 Admissions specific forum (http://www.mni.uwo.ca/discus - select "MEDS2006 Admissions.") I'll answer it anyways - roughly 430 people were interviewed this year, and last year 189 acceptances were sent out to fill 118 seats. That suggests roughly a 1 in 2 chance. . . and I think that 189 didn't include anyone removed from the waiting list as a result of accepting an offer from another school.

Looks like most of the questions in this thread are reverting back to "what are my chances of getting in?" type questions. No problem - I understand, I was in the exact same place this time last year! Thing is - the decisions have pretty much already been made, it's just a matter of waiting for that info to be sent out (May 31st.) Worrying about "stats" and the like won't change anything. . .

Does anyone have anymore questions about the PROGRAM at Western specifically? Extracurricular activities? Housing? etc?

Guest TimmyMax

Hey UWOMED2005,

I remember during my interview experience talking music with someone from the meds class and croonin' along with him on a well-known ditty- just curious, does UWO have these sort of med musical ensembles running throughout the year, or is it more a situational sort of deal (ie: Tachycardia(?))??? Would you please elaborate on what UWO has to offer former music geeks such as myself? Thanks!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest UWOMED2005

Music? There are a bunch of musicians in our class and in the 2004s. There is usally an anual coffee house at the Grad Club in October or November. . . I seem to remember something along that lines this year as well. Also, they did put together a band of med students for Tachycardia, our annual variety show.

Of course, you're also free to do whatever you want on your own time. One of the 4th years I believe ran a DJ business for the full 4 years of med school. He put on a number of shows at the 'Drink.'

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Little Brown Kid

I play guitar....it's fun....I was part of the Tachyband.....our bassist was unreal.....and knowing a thing or two about guitar (I've picked the odd note and strummed the odd chord in the past), and when I say that someone is good...they are GOOD.

Guest UWOMED2005

Hey 'Jess' & 'Gmoney,'

Two guys posting practically simultaneously, within 4 minutes of each other, saying the same thing and posting in the exact same style (using lots of periods, "WAAYYY"), eh? Interesting coincidence, don't you guys think?

Sorry about deleting your posts. It's not that I mind people challenging the quality of Western, but making up shiznit that isn't true (the 'facts' you quoted are BS, btw) and then posting it under two different logins is a little much.

Guest Little Brown Kid

Listen Gmoney....this is my frist visit to the board and I don't really have as much say was UWOMEDS2005, but you have some serious problems if you think coming to a message board and acting like you're the "know-it-all" when it comes to med school, is fun. How 'bout you get IN first and THEN you come and talk to us?

Guest UWOMED2005

Gmoney - do you honestly think I should have responded? I actually thought about responding for a few minutes before deciding not to address the posts based on the fact the way the posts were written was so ridiculous.

Is U of T med school 'better' than Western? It's possible - I haven't had the chance to do electives with students from U of T yet, so have no basis on which to judge their competency. But the 4th years I've talked to who have completed electives with students from other schools, the physicians and residents I've talked to, and the stats I've seen from the CaRMS match & licensing statistics would suggest there's no significant difference in the quality of medical graduates from the two schools. Both schools grant you the degree of MD, and both schools grant you the opportunity to access the best residency programs in Canada through the CaRMS match. So which is the best school? Probably the one that best suits your personality, interests and what you want to do. Based on your recent posts, gmoney - I'd have to say Western probably is NOT the school for you. So maybe, in your case, U of T would be a 'better' school. (BTW - U of T students please don't be offended - I don't mean to imply someone making these kind of posts would fit in better with you guys!) :)

Guest Jess the original

Ahhhh, lesson learned, register or you'll have some losersusing your name. I feel like I should say this to save face on this board, not that this makes any difference to y'all, but I'm the 'real' Jess (the one who's been frequenting this board since the Fall) and I did not post that message.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey UWOMED2005,

Amen, dude. You neglected to mention the most triumphant admissions video with that lovable Little Brown Kid in it. Excellent! (guitar sound!)

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest awong37

Hi GMoney,

I've not visited this forum in quite some time, but after we were alerted to the fact that there was yet more bashing going on, I figured I had to check it out. I wasn't particularly surprised by what I read... ho hum, which is better, UWO or UT? How many times has this been asked? How many times have immature UT first-year students (you know who you are) made stupid presumptions about how they are "better" than we are? At least we don't shoot ourselves by trying to argue in such a manner... geez!

A while back, on another forum, a somewhat-famous UT first-year medical student posted something that he called 'An Open Apology', during which he tried to save face for all of the stupid things that he'd said. One of the issues that he argued adamently for was UT's "superiority" over the other medical schools in the country... I responded to this with the following paragraph:

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> I understand that you are proud of your school. I did my undergraduate studies at Toronto and I am proud of it as well. I have many friends in Toronto medicine and they're all having the greatest time of their lives. There's nothing unusual about this at all, and more power to you for being willing to speak up about Toronto's merits and "weaknesses". But in promoting Toronto, you *have* put down other schools, as well as the individuals who attend these other schools. It's like you're saying: "I'm from Toronto and you're not... therefore I'm automatically better than you." How long will you maintain this elitist attitude? What happens when you realize the truth, which is that competent and compassionate physicians come from all institutions and all walks of life, and that an institution only plays a moderate role in that process? Ultimately, those of us who deeply wish to be the best doctors that we can be will become exactly that, regardless of whether we come from Western or Mac or Ottawa or Toronto or anywhere else.<!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->

I hope you gain some insight from the above. The *reality* is that there is no difference between the medical schools if you are a good-hearted person who is reasonably intelligent, with a strong desire to become the best doctor that you can be. If this is the case, whether you're at UBC or Dal or anywhere in between, you'll *be* an excellent physician when you leave, and ultimately, that's what matters most. Those of us who are somewhat more insightful and enlightened have already realized this. Yes, I mean to imply that you are not as insightful and clearly not as enlightened, but our role here is to help you find that for yourself.

Best,

Alex.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey Nomus!

Of course I remember you! Who could forget someone as memorable as yourself, or many of your classmates for that matter!?! Let's see- besides yourself, there was Ekul, Nomis, Yar, Assilem, Ashan, Esormba, Xela, and a host of others! :)

As for music, I play trumpet, a little piano and I sing as well. No guitar, though- boo.

BTW, did you get a Genie nomination for your part in TTRTGTW??? If not, that's a sham, 'cuz you totally deserve one! Take care and best of luck w/ finals! (Thumbs up)

Timmy

Guest crackers

TimmyMax,

How could you forget Elarc? :P

Lots of procrastinating going on here, what with Urinary on Monday. Good luck to everyone, here's wishing you this envelopes in the mail first week of June! We'll all be out on rural week at that time, in different parts of southwestern Ontario---should be a great experience.

Guest Justaguy

What's the deal with all the backwards spelling of names? And shouldn't Numos be Nomus?

Little Brown Kid was a Science Games organizing god.

Guest Jullit

I went to that science games thingy at UWO. But Wasn't there 2 science games organizers.... nomus and some other guy? what was his name again?

Guest TimmyMax

Hey there Srekcarc,

No I haven't forgotten about Eralc- how could I? Just slipped my mind at the time...come to think of it, I left out a ton of people, but oh well, if all goes well, they won't be just fond memories of time well spent! :)

Best of luck tomorrow!

Timmy

Guest Jullit

That guy naruV is applying to medical school? Is he smart you think Little Brown Kid? Is he having a good shot you think? Where is he did his interviews and where do you think he is getting in? i just would like to see who is my compotition. Wish him good luck. Say Mohammed says wasss up.

I remember you too now nomos !!!! . You were the funny bunch with the ear phones right!!!! I was from U of T -- remember when we were on the track walking around? My name is Mohammed, and I was the big guy with glasses.

Guest Little Brown Kid

Yes!!! I do remember you now!!! Ahhh the Thompson Arena track....what great memories I had watching all those awesome Goldberg machines being built.

The person in question is VERY smart...yes! He has applied to the schools in Ontario and a few out of province I believe....Western was one of his choices too! (In fact, I believe he got interviewed by the head of admissions herself!)

I hope the best for him....speaking of which....how did thine interview go?

little brown kid

PS Yes, those earphones were cool.

Guest Justaguy

Hey "Little Brown Kid"... the Rideout and Ceeps were fun then... those places still good?

My team's Goldberg was the best. Screw you all.

Guest UWOMED2005

We hit up the Ridout (aka Slideout) on the first Thursday night in September, pretty much as a class (at Nomus's suggestion. . .) and it was a blast. Sadly, when I was there on a thursday night about a month ago the place was completely empty. . . I think over the year Jim Bob Ray's and the Ceeps have taken over Thursday nights.

As for the Ceeps, that place is almost older than Western (I think it's been around since 1890) so I don't think it'll ever die. My Dad used to drink there when he was in University!

Archived