Premed 101 Forums

UWO MCAT minimums

Guest DonaldKaufman

Guest DonaldKaufman

Hello,

Does anyone happen to know what the MCAT cut-offs have been at UWO over the past few years? I missed the cut on the writing sample last year, and I was curious as to how much these benchmarks change over the years. It seems silly to me to discard my whole application because of 30 minutes of writing that I did 3 years ago, but I guess they have to narrow down the field somehow.

Thanks

Hey there,

These are the trends that the people in each class had to meet for MCAT.

Meds 2007

Biological Sciences (BS) 9

Physical Sciences (PS) 9

Verbal Reasoning (VR) 9

Writing Sample (WS) Q

Meds 2006

Physical Sciences (PS) 9

Verbal Reasoning (VR) 9

Writing Sample (WS) P

Meds 2005

Meet single minimum cutoffs

Biological Sciences (BS) 8

Physical Sciences (PS) 8

Verbal Reasoning (VR) 8

Writing Sample (WS) P

Meet combined cutoffs

BS + PS >21

VR + WS >19

Meds 2004

Physical Sciences (PS) 8

Verbal Reasoning (VR) 9

Writing Sample (WS) Q

Cheers!

MCAT minimums for this year will be determined at the end of January, 2004. They will depend entirely on the 'quality' of the applicant pool this year.

Minimums are chosen so that ~430 people are invited for an interview and are subject to go up or down on a year to year basis. There is no "set point" that UWO feels that you must achieve to be a good candidate...so the fact that you missed the cut-off this year doesn't mean that you will miss it next year...it was just a function of how many of your 'competition' beat your score.

Good luck!

Guest epsilon11

Seeing as how MCATs cost 350 bucks, and take 8 hours of anyone's precious time to complete, being off by one point is a real disappointment. I have a great score on the MCAT, just that I have an 8 on verbal reasoning, although ironically my writing sample is an S(so I can write but not read...weird)

I will never write that test again, which is making me work extra hard to try and get in before the test results become obsolete. Should I not bother applying to UWO because of that 8?

Archived