Premed 101 Forums

Non-traditional applicant--should I take the MCAT now, or in a couple of years? Assistance and some critiques would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post. Skip to the TLDR if you don't wanna read any of it.  Hopefully this isn't similar to any other posts.  I've been a long time lurker, so I don't recall someone having a similar situation to me.  But if there is my apologies!

First some background:

I graduated from university in 2013, after 5 years, with a degree in Biology, and let's just say my grades throughout my undergrad started off as hot garbage, and ended up being pleasantly mediocre.

After undergrad, I got a diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences, and now I'm working full time as an MLT.

Hopefully I did these calculations correctly, particularly the OMSAS.

% 4.0 GPA 4.5 GPA OMSAS
cGPA 70.7 2.64   2.75
Last 2 years 79.8 3.47   *3.5
Worst 30 dropped 76 3.17 3.5 N/A
Worst YEAR dropped 74.1 2.96    

* I took 8 courses in both my last years of undergrad which probably makes my weighted OMSAS GPA null for some schools I believe.

As you can see, tis hot, putrid garbage. My grades from my med lab program do not count (well except for Memorial, I think. But I'm not a resident of the Maritimes so that is moot), so either way, I know I will definitely need to do a second undergrad, and hopefully knock it out of the park.

I know what many of you may be thinking upon looking at this. Why am I even bothering? I'm going to spare you my sob story, but basically, like many of you, this has always been a dream of mine. And after working in health care as a lab tech, my desire to become a physician has just kept burning stronger and stronger. I feel like I owe it to myself to at least try, you know? My thinking is, I may as well give it a good shot, so that I don't live in regret.

But if you want to tell me I am delusional, please feel free. I'm not being sarcastic either. I need some help and guidance.

Anyways, my question is when should I take the MCAT. I initially wanted to take it in September 2021. I feel like the MCAT is the ultimate litmus test as to whether I can handle studying whilst working full time and volunteering, before committing to a second undergrad. However, upon hearing that some schools (like U of M) have a three year expiry date for MCAT score, I wonder if that'll be cutting it too close? My second undergrad should only take me 2 years to do, so by the time I finish that, I will only have one application cycle to submit my MCAT score to. Or am I just preemptively panicking? From what I could find on google, most schools in Canada have a 5 year expiry, right?

TLDR: should I take MCAT in Sep 2021 to see if I can handle stress of studying and full time work, before I spend oodles of money on Athabasca. Or should I just do second undergrad first and then do the MCAT to give myself more wiggle room for applying.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read all of this! I wish all of you luck in pursuing your dreams.

9 hours ago, offmychestplease said:

You're 30 now...you likely need 3 years where you will be repairing your GPA, MCAT and potential re-writes, EC's, etc. Assuming all that goes well and you get in on your second attempt which is really good you will start medical school at 35. You will then finish medical school at 39, finish residency at 41 (FM) or 45+ (FRCPC + 1 fellowship). You will be a resident in your 40's dealing with all the crap that comes with that. This does not include the many years of lost income, med tuition etc. which means you will likely be 50+ when you break even had you decided not to go for med. Does that sound good to you?

That's the positive outlook. The other outlook(s) are you dedicate years of preparation/effort/money/emotions and end up taking many years to get in, or you don't get accepted/decide to drop this idea. I have always been one to encourage people but after learning more about opportunity costs my suggestion is to not embark on this path in your situation. I don't mean to be a negative nancy but I wanted to give this perspective before someone jumps in with the inevitable "follow your dreams! You will be 41 or 45+ anyway, why not be a doctor!" without considering important factors.

No, thank you for this! It is a very sobering picture, but I would be lying if I said I have not thought about all of this before. The one thing that doesn't bother me is the lost wages.  Money isn't a huge motivator for me at all.  But everything else you mentioned (time and labour investment, emotional toll, also toll on my admittedly non existant social life etc), is definitely a bigger risk for me for sure.  This is part of the reason why I'd want to do the MCAT first.   It is a much smaller financial investment, and If I do horrendously, then I have my answer.

I'd do the MCAT as a litmus test, as you said. Not only a test of your ability to jump through one of the hoops of admission but also youe commitment and ability to grind it out when life sucks because you'll be working and studying with all your free time... because that's the kind of self-imposed pressure you'll need during the second undergrad to come out with a 3.9+ GPA, as someone who's got nothing to show for your academic abilities so far. Not trying to be harsh- I've been in your shoes. 

It may take you multiple writes to get the score you want anyway. It's way worse to spend all that time and money doing a second undergrad then find out you can't ace the MCAT than having to redo the MCAT because your score expired. 

I finished a life sci degree with a 3.0 GPA then went back to do a second undergrad, now in third year med school. Also studied for the MCAT while working full time. I don't think you are delusional. But I think you should tread very very carefully and keep re-evaluating your decisions every step along the way.