Premed 101 Forums

Any climbers out there?

Guest ClimbOn

Guest ClimbOn

Hello

I'm just curious if there any rock climbers in the med classes? I'll be coming over to London from Vancouver on Aug 19, and once I get settled, I would like to get back to climbing ASAP. If any of you love climbing please let me know because I would like to find a belay partner! Thanx :)

Guest UWOMED2005

Umm, you do know the Rockies end in Alberta. We're pretty flat here in London. ;)

Actually, I used to rock climb but got out of it before moving to London. To be honest I don't where the local climbing wall is, or the quality. And as far as outdoor climbing, we are pretty flat here - I think the closest decent terrain would be the Escarpment, and I don't even know if they have any good climbs there. The closest I've climbed is in Western Quebec/Eastern Ontario. But then again, I'm not connected at all with the London climbing scene.

Guest aneliz

There is a climbing gym in London... I haven't been but I hear it is pretty decent.

There is not much 'natural' stuff to climb in London... but there is plenty to climb along the niagara escarpment... about an hour drive away.

Guest ClimbOn

UWOMED2005: I do know that Ontario is rather flat, and that there's not much climbing and skiing :( I'm determined to keep climbing though, so that's why I'm looking for some tips on this forum.

I did come across the website of that gym, and it does look OK. Too bad they don't have any bouldering problems. But I'm glad there is A gym in London :)

Hmmm...I'll really have to link up with some locals who know the climbing areas near London. Is there an outdoors club in Western?

Guest UWOMED2005

Skiing in London. . . alas, there's always the "bowler bump." Or for more vertical, you can seek out the local anthill. :rollin

Seriously, there are a few ski hills within 2 hr drive but you're looking at no more than 150-200 meters vertical (for comparison Tremblant is about 550-600m, I think Whistler is about 2000m.) If you're willing to go farther a field, Blue Mountain (?350-400m?) is about a 4 hr drive away but fairly crowded (it's pretty much the best ski hill in the vicinity of Toronto) and Tremblant is about 8 hrs away (there's often an excursion planned by the 1st and 2nd years during FSS, the annual med games in Quebec.) I've also heard rumours that there are decent ski hills just across the border in Michigan and near Buffalo New York, making them within driving distance, but I've never been to either.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be so rude with my original post, but the lack of altitude in this area of Ontario is a sore point for me. I've been praying for a volcano to consume Michigan. :)

Guest ClimbOn

Hey UWOMED2005, no worries, I wasn't mad at you. Maybe I should start using more of those emotion faces to express how I feel.

I think I saw a ski area (or a little bump) when I was on the bus ride from London to Toronto. I have to say that "ski area" is really pathetic. I might as well just wait till I come home during Christmas and ski all I want.

They've made a movie on a volcano popping up at LA, but not one in Michigan yet. I guess it might be easier to just fly to Vancouver and have all the skiing you want in Whistler :)

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get used to living in a flat place for 4 years. Maybe I can take up canoeing.....or shoveling snow in the winter :rollin

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, I used to ski a lot Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec growing up, but after a couple trips to Whistler + Lake Louise/Sunshine in early adoloscence, even Tremblant didn't really seem worth it. I've probably only skied 10 times total since those trips, and mostly only when I'm out west.

Driving down the 401 to T.O this past weekend I passed the escarpment, and yep - there does to seem to be some cliffs that look scaleable. Maybe 100 metre vertical. I'm not sure if anyone organizes climbs - Aneliz sounds like she might know.

It's about a 1-1.5 hour from London. And there's a ski bump there too (that might be one you are referring to, near Guelph/Milton.)

Guest T dawg 2004

I have been to the fabled ski hills just south of the border in the US snow belt (Holliday Valley, Kissing Bridge, etc.) that is just south of Buffalo. That is also about 3-4 hours away. But if you are making a weekend out of it, it can be worth it. As well... if i go, we can stop in Niagara Falls at my house for a break. hehe... ;)

Archived