Premed 101 Forums

Deleted

Hey! My advice is mostly Ontario-focused but the general ideas probably pertain to other schools in Canada as well (but not the specifics)

First off, your extracurriculars look good to me. A little extra research experience wouldn't hurt your application if things don't work out this year, but it's certainly not needed. Your MCAT is decent- this does depend a bit from school-to-school (some schools use it as a cut-off, some don't take it at all, etc.) but it's probably enough for all of the Ontario schools (except maybe not Western- this depends on your scores in each section). I'm not sure what your cars score is, but this also makes a difference- a high cars is better for most schools, especially mac. You're looking at needing at least 127 for mac but ideally 128+. Your last three years GPA are also great, but the 2.9 is going to drag you down. Luckily, a lot of schools only look at 2-3 years for your GPA (Queen's, Western, Ottawa) so you're good for them, but you might have a harder time at mac and u of t.

The thing you have to realize about med school admissions is that each school has different criteria- so you might be super strong at one school and super weak at another. I recommend looking into each school and what their requirements are and applying to the ones that you think play into your strengths. For you particularly, I'd look for schools that will exclude your first year marks because your GPA is not very competitive with them included. It's not a lost cause so you still may have a shot at mac or other schools that look at all your grades, but your odds will be much better at schools that exclude them

• jnt8 changed the title to Deleted