Premed 101 Forums

***NEW wait-list information***

Guest therealcrackers

Guest therealcrackers

I spoke with Darla this morning.

She said there was a batch of offers that went out awhile ago, and that today was the deadline to accept those.

Hereafter, there will be ROLLING offers given out. That means offers will be sent out one by one, to the next person on the waiting list. These offers will initially be sent BY PHONE, probably starting tomorrow.

She reassured me that the waiting list is moving, but declined to give specifics (and this is consistent: Western never gives out the numbers or the rankings on the waiting list --- so don't ask, because I don't know and she won't tell anybody).

So after today, look for phone calls first. Good luck to everyone, and I hope to see you in the fall!

Guest Steve U of T

Thanks for the info. In my lab, somebody moved the phone closer to the operating bench. A few days ago, I managed to perform a laparotomy with one hand while holding the phone with the other, so hopefully I won't miss the call when it comes. Still, should we be unavailable, how much of an effort will they make to contact us? I assume they'll try both the work and home numbers we provided, and leave messages if possible. Will they try email if they can't get to us by phone?

Guest Ninja

They try pretty hard! They'll try many times to get in touch with you, but if the date is getting closer to registration, they can't be trying to contact you for more than a few days (I would think). As the summer starts to fade, the urgency to fill the class increases.

Guest aneliz

They will try every phone number that they have for you (work/home/cell) and will leave messages wherever they can if they can't get you.

The message will tell you to call the office.

If they have not heard from you within a couple of days, they will try again, leave more messages, etc.

You are not going to miss your opportunity because you didn't answer the phone the first time.

Guest californicator

Is this bad news for waitlisters? I'd think that they would start the "rolling" acceptance thing when the class is pretty full.

Guest therealcrackers

No. It is not bad news for waitlisters. It increases the chances of them finding students on the waitlist who are still looking for an acceptance at Western QUICKLY. Now it doesn't take 2 weeks for a mail-out and mail reply... just a phone call, maybe a message left and a couple of days turn around...

Guest jwalker

just wondering if anyone has heard or knows anyone that has heard anything from this 3rd batch of offers yet... thanks alot.. good luck to all

is the waitlist still moving?

also, has anyone out there received an outright rejection letter? I'm still skeptical that UWO actually does do this... I was on the waitlist all of last summer and I'm on it again this year with no luck so far...

Guest jeffsimz

i got a call yesterday.......i have till tommorrow to decide between western and ottawa where i provisionally accepted....not sure what to do..I'll let ya know

Guest Ninja

Darla in Admissions just told me that yes, Western is still taking people off the waitlist.

Jesffsimz: Western has far more to offer in all facets of medical school and student life except the size of the city when compared to Ottawa. Having lived in Ottawa for 20 years, I can say that London is quite similar to Ottawa and just find London slightly different than Ottawa rather than feeling the absence of anything. The obvious choice for me would be Western over Ottawa, but to each his own. I hope you come to Western though!

Guest jeffsimz

thanks for the advice Ninja. The only thing that would keep me from coming to UWO would be the fact that I did my undergrad there, which was the BEST experience. Not sure if experiencing a new city like Ottawa outweighs the greatness that is UWO. Tough call.

Guest Ninja

...you don't know what Ottawa will be like for you. It will be a gamble in the sense that it could be awesome like UWO, or it could be less than you expected. Ottawa's a nice city, but you're gonna spend most of your time dealing with school. I would personally choose the school that is best for me and my career (meaning the school that is most likely to help you get the residency position of your choice) and go there, rather than basing my decision on a city.

Guest MikeD

Dammit Ninja, stop convincing an undecided to go to Western :)

This of course coming from someone who would be thrilled if an extra spot became available...seeing as Western is my only hope (and top choice).

Guest ClimbOn

Hey all

Ever since I received the waitlist letter, I've been praying and wishing and waiting. And then.....

I was working with a bunch of lab rats this afternonn (around 1:20pm PST) when I discovered heat emitting from the side pocket on my pants. The heat came from my cell phone (set on vibrate), and apparently I missed a call (I must have been too distracted by the rats to have noticed the phone going off). I checked my voce mail, and Darla from admissions had left a message telling me to call her back. Unfortunately, by the time I called her, she has already left the office. Now, can you guys give me some insights as to what that call could be about? Could this be the good news I've been waiting for? Darla will not be in the office until Monday, do you think someone else at the admissions office can tell me what's going on?

Thanks....I really really really hope things will turn out well. In the mean time, I'll have to wait after Canada Day (and perhaps after the weekend) to find out my fate. Have a good Canada Day, and good luck to all you waitlistees out there! :)

ClimbOn

Guest DrTK

That sounds good to me!

I HIGHLY doubt they would call you for any reason other than to offer you a spot at Western. I mean, I can't even think of a reason why they would call someone on the waitlist for reasons other than offering you a spot. That's just torture! So I would take this phone call as a good sign...and celebrate cautiously this weekend. Hopefully we'll see you in the fall!

TK

Guest ClimbOn

Thanks for your reply DrTK

I got up extra early today (6am PST) and called Darla. I got in!!!!! I haven't been offered a spot anywhere, and Western has been my top choice all along, so I'm super duper happy right now! Yippeeeeee :rollin !

Good luck to anyone still waiting. I thought I'll never make it off the waitlist, but I made it off. OK, gotta go wake up my parents and tell them the good news.

Guest aneliz

Class is not full yet as far as I know... although it will likely be scattered offers at this point with no big 'waves' of acceptances....and I believe anyone receiving an acceptance at this point will be getting a phone call first.

Guest Steve U of T

It seems to me that offers after this point will be few and far between. The most likely circumstances I can come up with are deferrals and acceptances to OOP or out of country schools (since acceptees should be off other Ontario wait lists by now). How common are these?

I also suppose some people might be turned away for failing to complete prerequisites or not having the 2nd year above the cut-off, although this is probably extremely rare.

Aneliz or other UWO moderators, do you have any figures on how many offers were sent out in July or August of previous years? I know ~half the class came in off the wait list in previous years, although I'm curious what proportion heard later in the summer. I'd wager that number is a lot smaller than those accepted in June.

Archived