Premed 101 Forums

***NEW wait-list information***

Guest therealcrackers

Guest ClimbOn

Yup, I got a phone call from Darla. Be sure to turn on your cell phone or clean out your voicemail 'cause you might get called next. I put my cell phone on vibrate, missed the initial call on Wednesday, and had to wait till this morning to get a hold of Darla to find out the offer. Lesson: leave your cell phone on ringing mode.

Guest therealcrackers

The numbers will vary from year to year... but I got in early in July, a couple of my classmates got calls in mid to late August, and one year they had someone come in a week late because someone else chose not to show up for orientation and could not be tracked down...

there is still movement on the list, and usually there is an announcement when the class is full. Until that comes...

Guest DrTK

Hey ClimbOn!

Congratulations on getting off the waitlist! I was pretty sure that any phone call from admissions right now would be a good one, and I'm glad that I was right! See you in August!

TK

Guest Ninja

Steve UofT, I don't know the answer to your first question.

You're right about your 2nd statement (yeah it's rare).

Actually in previous years, more than half the class came in off the waitlist. For instance, last year there were 33 first round offers that were accepted, meaning that 100 people in the class of 2007 came in off the waitlist. Numbers have been similar in previous years. Most people would've heard before mid-July about being accepted off the wait list. I'll try to get back to you about this year's numbers if it's ok for that info to be released right now (it's not my decision).

Guest Ninja

Just heard back from Admissions. Seems any information on this year's numbers can't be released until the class is full. Sorry!

Guest Apna

now that July 2 has come and gone, is the waitlist pretty much stagnant? what circumstances could cause it to move from now on, besides the odd person backing out at the last minute?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

There could be some movement if an applicant has received an acceptance from an out-of-province school as well as UWO, and finally decides to stay in or move to that other province.

Alternatively, what are UWO's policies on deferral? If they have some deferral decisions to make then more spots could open up that way, if deferrals are approved. :rolleyes

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest aneliz

UWO generally does not grant deferrals...although those that do get granted are for 'extreme' circumstances that often come up later in the summer (like getting in an accident, death in family, serious illness, etc) Obviously these things were not anticipated at the time that the applicant accepted the offer. That said, there are very few deferrals each year (maybe one...) so that is not the major source of late summer movement.

As Kirsteen suggested, most of the late summer movement is due to people getting non-Ontario spots that they want more and/or backing out entirely. I would not think that there woudl be too many of those either.

However, there are still some 'unclaimed' seats right now...meaning that no one has accepted them yet. (Offers are out but there have been no responses yet). Often these people have already been accepted at another school for Sept (OOP med, out-of-country-med or otherwise) and sometimes take their sweet time getting back to UWO with a 'no'. If UWO doesn't hear anything by the deadline, they always attempt to contact the person to make sure that something hasn't been lost in the mail before they will move on to someone else. This process takes time. So, there are more than a few seats that have offers out on them right now but no response from the person holding the offer...if they refuse it, for whatever reason, the offer will go to the next person on the list. UWO tends to go through quite a few people to fill up the final spots...so even though there may only be a few spots left (don't know for sure because they won't tell me!), there may still be quite a few offers to fill them because many people may have OOP acceptances already that they may keep regardless of whether they get a UWO offer.

Consider this hypothetical scenario:

133 first round offers....70 people respond to first round offer with a YES or conditional YES...

63 so-called second round offers sent out....50 people respond with a YES or conditional YES.

120 seats now 'filled'....

13 'third round offers' out....meanwhile 10 of the 120 people already in bail out to attend another Ontario school they have just come off the waitlist of....so, another 10 offers go out. Of those 23 offers sent out, 18 come back with a YES.

There are now 5 spots left in the class....5 offers made...4 come back NO....another 4 offers go out...out...meanwhile 6 people in the class have backed out (OOP offers, can't meet conditional requirements to keep acceptance, etc), another 6 offers out. And on, and on, and on....until its over.

As you can see this can (and does) go on all summer...but just because there are few seats left...doesn't mean that the list isn't going to move.

Total offers so far in the above scenario = 234 (the total # of offers the year I got in)...

So, just because there are a lot of offers off of the waitlist (usually 100+) doesn't mean that there are very few (33 ninja? ;) ) that accept the initial offer.

Guest Ninja

Ah that makes sense. My logic was that just over 133 first round offers go out and if you have to send out about 234 to fill the whole class, that means that only about 33-34 of the initial 133 accepted first round offer but I forgot how it's sort of a rolling thing and that can make the total number of offers that go out increase without the necessity of only a few accepting in first round.

Guest AngelicAndi

Hi! I've been reading the board for months but never had anything to post.. until now. Darla called me this afternoon-I got in!! I just finished my undergrad at U of T and was ready to start grad there in genetics when I got the news. There's still hope people!

Guest aimshigh

Hey folks,

There should be some waitlist movement coming in the next day or so. I was offered a spot at U of C, and have decided to accept. I faxed in my notice to Western this morning. Hopefully someone will hear the phone ring soon.:)

Cheers,

A.

Archived