Premed 101 Forums

Adult stuff & medical school

lamb

So say an applicant has  been/is an adult industry worker (ie cam model), under a pseudonym of course, would this be an issue if it was found out? I would expect bias for sure but is this something schools would particularly blacklist? Also if an applicant was accepted, in medical school would this be an issue?

the safety provided in this situation is that any (probably male) colleague or professor that discovered said sex worker's identity would have to admit how they found it LOL. for this reason I'd say it's probably unlikely that this sorta thing gets exposed unless the person's like, at the top of the PH charts. but I'd definitely suggest stopping (if you can afford to) as soon as possible. It's just probably not a good idea to do it during any part of your medical career.

with the whole #Medkini controversy that happened last year, it's clear women face some pretty stupid biases about showing their bodies on social media, but I suspect that's more by the medical professional community than patients. once accepted, if any trouble were to arise, I'd personally try a combination of hair-dying, name-changing and moving cities when applying for residency. 

going forward, if they chose to continue, I'd recommend that person try to be smart about their privacy (don't show their face/name/city in videos, maybe use paywalls to restrict public access to their material and take down any existing public videos that they can).

6 hours ago, medicallyricalmiracle said:

the safety provided in this situation is that any (probably male) colleague or professor that discovered said sex worker's identity would have to admit how they found it LOL. for this reason I'd say it's probably unlikely that this sorta thing gets exposed unless the person's like, at the top of the PH charts. but I'd definitely suggest stopping (if you can afford to) as soon as possible. It's just probably not a good idea to do it during any part of your medical career.

You can be sure that if patients started finding out, there would be at least one of them who would be glad to expose this person (because people like to gossip and bash on MDs).