Premed 101 Forums

emergency medicine moonlighting + working with family (vs ccfp-em, frcpc)

3 questions about emergency med.

1. For the FRCPC program, how many allow moonlighting? Is it common? How much  do residents make generally doing it? (and how many hours do they work, given other duties)

2. Where is it possible to practice full time emergency medicine without the +1 in em? (in Ontario specifically). Wondering about non-rural locations e.g. small cities / suburbs?

3. If an emerg doc gets burned out, what are possible avenues to a 9-5?

Can't help as much with 2/3 (am in GIM), but can offer some insight on 1 - most programs should allow some form of moonlighting (called "restricted registration" in ON). The usual moonlighting common to EM and IM is in overnight ICU coverage (CCCA = critical care clinical assist). Usual is $1600 for a 15-16h shift (so $100/hour). You should not have clinical duties the next day (not without some downtime), and there's some rules as to what's allowed and what's not (that are variably followed).

I've seen CCFP's working staff ER even in the cities just a 1 hour drive from Toronto, without the +1. And these were new staff too. I think doing FM then trying for a +1 is a no brainer compared to FRCP unless you want to specifically do academic medicine instead of community, work in downtown Toronto, or want to be able to practice in other countries i.e. USA in the future. In all other scenarios you can get away with just a CCFP and still do full time ER or a mix of fam med/ER/whatever else, and in most places without a +1 barring probably some/most academic centers and the large GTA hospitals.

36 minutes ago, rice said:

I've seen CCFP's working staff ER even in the cities just a 1 hour drive from Toronto, without the +1. And these were new staff too. I think doing FM then trying for a +1 is a no brainer compared to FRCP unless you want to specifically do academic medicine instead of community, work in downtown Toronto, or want to be able to practice in other countries i.e. USA in the future. In all other scenarios you can get away with just a CCFP and still do full time ER or a mix of fam med/ER/whatever else, and in most places without a +1 barring probably some/most academic centers and the large GTA hospitals.

Wow, I didn’t realize you could do EM with just CCFP 1 hour outside of Toronto. Which cities are you talking about? And do you think the standard CCFP residency provides sufficient training for working in these settings, or did these staff go out of their way to get enough EM experience during residency to be comfortable with it as new staff?

7 hours ago, gogogo said:

Wow, I didn’t realize you could do EM with just CCFP 1 hour outside of Toronto. Which cities are you talking about? And do you think the standard CCFP residency provides sufficient training for working in these settings, or did these staff go out of their way to get enough EM experience during residency to be comfortable with it as new staff?

I've seen it in the Durham region- Whitby, Ajax, Oshawa, Bowmanville, etc.
I'm sure it's the same in other places

I think most just did standard CCFP, I don't know about anything specific to EM. I know one did a POCUS course after residency but that's not necessary by any means.