Premed 101 Forums

Pass/Fail???? What's the deal?

Guest Gunz4Sale

Guest Gunz4Sale

I've heard, though I can't remember where, that there won't be honours next year, just pass/fail. Is that true? What about other schools? Does this change hurt in any way, I obviously see the positives of it! :)

Guest Gill0927

I can tell you that in Sept 2004, it's definitely going to be all pass/fail.

I can also see the positives of it, and I don't think it will hurt unless for residencies we're competing against people with 'honours' and they see our 'pass' as less impressive...but from what I understand, marks aren't really that important at that stage anyway, and in any case, they know that different schools have different marking systems.

That's just what I understand on the topic...

Gill :b

Guest Ninja

You're right, you guys will be the first completely pass/fail class. Hey Gunz, yeah I can see what your "obvious benefits" would be... A continued and consistent friendship with a one Mr. Jack Daniels. :P

As far as how this will affect you in residency... I think all the schools are pretty varied with regard to the P/F thing and yes you're right, marks don't matter a whole lot, although they do a little bit. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can let us know where the other schools are moving on this issue. I'm pretty sure that program directors will be notified that the marks are only P/F and that H was not possible but it's an issue to keep an eye on. We can find out if it has been addressed when we get to school in the Fall.

Guest therealcrackers

There will no longer be an honours category, but your marks will still be calculated for the purposes of awards, etc. On your transcript, either pass or fail will appear.

For our class, clerkship is recorded as pass/fail; the more important things to come out of clerkship are your knowledge and skills, your individual rotation evaluations, and any letters of reference you choose to obtain during that time.

There are several theories as to why it's going to pass/fail; I'm not going to list them all here, as they will likely be debated in this thread. A graduating student once told me that first year was worth about 4% when it came down to it for CaRMS purposes, and second year was about 6%; 90% of what matters for CaRMS is your clerkship --- and Western's clerkship is its strongest feature.

Archived