Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Movement?

Guest Gunz4Sale

Guest Gunz4Sale

To any of the moderators out there...

I understand Queen's already e-mailed people on the waitlist who would be coming off on June 14th - when will Western begin sending out waitlist offers? Will it be starting Monday or will it be later?

Also, how will they be contacting people, via phone or will they just be mailing packages?

Thanks - I'm praying to my patron saints, Tupac and Biggie that I get good news next week!

Guest therealcrackers

We can't give you a full and complete answer right now. If I get a chance, I will swing by and say hello and find out when these notices are going out. It will likely be early this week...but can't say for sure yet. I will re-post when I know more.

Guest Steve U of T

The waitlist letter seemed to underline (literally) the urgency of them having your correct telephone number. Also, they're asking us not to contact their office by telephone. I'm sure the main reason is that they don't want to be bothered, but perhaps they also want to keep their lines free for making calls. Of course, these are just my verbal reasoning skills at work making speculations that may or may not be accurate.

Guest blinknoodle

I'm wondering whether there will be a delay since the waitlist letters were delayed...... Also, since I never actually saw the waitlist letter (sent to my permanent address), did the little green card only have to be sent in if you still wanted to be on the waitlist (or was there a check here if you don't want to be on the waitlist option)? I'm wondering if people will be skipped if the green card hasn't been returned yet.......

Cheers,

-bn

Guest aneliz

If you do not return the green card, you will not be kept on the waitlist. (No return of card = assumed you don't want to be on UWO's waitlist and you will be cut)

Usually the first round of waitlist offers go out on the day after the response to an initial offer was due (usually ~June 15) and they go out (by mail only) as a big group.

Darla is supposed to be off this week...so they may be a bit delayed....don't know for sure, I am not in London this week so I can't check.

I do know that they will NOT release your status over the phone...if you can't wait for the mail, your only chance to find out faster (if Darla is feeling generous) is to e-mail admissions (with your OMSAS #). Darla has told me that she will not be releasing any more information on the phone because she never knows for sure who she is talking to...(applicant, parent, sibling, next door neighbour, etc) and she is always uneasy that she is releasing information to people that shouldn't have it (ie your mom calls without you knowing). Please do not call the office...it ties up their phone line so that they can't make outgoing calls...and you won't get any information anyway.

Later in the summer, they will start calling before they send out a package....usually this happens starting mid-July and continues until the class is full. At that point, if they are unable to contact you by phone, you may be skipped in the list...but don't worry too much...they try to call for a couple of days before moving on.

Guest blinknoodle

Hi guys,

Is there any way to verify UWO has received our little green card? I'd hate to be removed from the waitlist if Canada Post is silly.......

Thanks,

-bn

Guest Raucus Bacchus

I was concerned about that canada post issue myself. Just to wear the belt and suspenders at the same time, I wrote an email that stated clearly that I did want to remain on the waitlist. I added (to make sure) my OMSAS#, and every possible phone number/email address that I could be reached at.

I don't want to clog up the system right now, since I know that it is likely just overloaded, but I didn't think a little confirmation email would hurt too much.

Am I wrong here? Just wanted to be sure.....

Guest Steve U of T

I did the same.

They asked us specifically not to call, but I also don't think an email would hurt too much. I haven't got a response though.

Guest therealcrackers

Did you photocopy the card, and keep a copy, and sign and date your reply? That's a surefire way of having a copy for you and proof that it was sent.

And that is a suggestion to anyone who gets off the waiting list subsequently...

Guest Chapsony

Hey All,

I have emailed the UWO admissions about wanting to stay on the list but I haven't heard back yet. Do you think its because Im pretty low on the list? Someone told me that if you are "likely" to get in off of the waitlist, the admissions office is more inclined to stay in close touch with you.

I am not sure how much weight to put on this, but it would be nice to know if I probably will or probably won't get in. But anyhow, I know we are all waiting impatiently, but we can only hope for the best (although, given my interview, I am not optimistic!)

How did everyone else's interviews go? Mine were pretty aggressive (not in a completely bad way) but they did try to find some fault in me. I know I am not an excellent public speaker but I tried to answer them honestly and sincerely, but I think they thought my responses were hackeneyed. Any thoughts?

Thanks for hearing me out,

Sony

Guest Steve U of T

It seems an applicant's impression of their interview is not a very good indicator of anything. It seems people who think they had a great interview can get rejected or waitlisted, while people with bad interview experiences get accepted.

I thought my interview went okay (not superb, not terrible). I think I answered all their questions honestly and with confidence, although there are some things I could have elaborated on. Also, I think I might have given the impression that UWO wasn't my first choice (it wasn't at the time, although now I think it is), which may have hurt me.

Guest Chapsony

Hey Steve,

Isn't that weird though? I mean if they do not like you, then why would they pretend that the interview was going well? I much prefer honesty and if you are not liking me as a candidate, then keep the interview short and sweet.

Sony

Guest Raucus Bacchus

I think that it is really useless to try to determine how the interview went and relate that to the chances of getting an offer.

Based on the number of candidates, the number of people doing the interviews, and all the variability that goes with it all, I don't think there is a way to predict any outcome.

I have sat on the other side of the interview table, and it is extremely difficult.

All we can do now is hope for the best!

Guest blinknoodle

Sony,

I wouldn't worry if Darla hasn't emailed you back. I hear she is on vacation, so understandly wouldn't reply right away.

-bn

Guest aneliz

From what I know, Darla is off this week....so no reply is not an indication of anything other than the fact that she is not there.

There is no (as far as I know) preferential treatment of applicants based on where you fall on the list. Darla doesn't have time to check her inbox against the rank list before answering e-mails...(hmmmm....they are low on the list, I'll skip that message....oh, they are number one, I need to respond in <3 minutes!) ....doesn't happen....they get answered in the order they come in...and seeing as there can be hundreds a day, sometimes it takes awhile.

As for your interview feelings - I thought that my interview was awful (like really awful) and I got in first round. Other people that I know thought it was fabulous and never go off the waitlist. Your impression is not necessarily going to reflect the marking. You could be hilarious and keep them laughing the entire time, but if you didn't satisfy any of the interview criteria, you would get a low mark. Similarly, you could be smart and articulate and get fairly emotionless interviewers that leave you wondering what happened but they mark you very well. There are also no points on the interview sheet for 'wanting' to go to UWO...ie it not being your first choice would not hurt you.

Guest Gunz4Sale

So if Darla isn't in, does that mean waitlist offers weren't sent out yesterday or today? Seems like most of the other schools have been in contact - some even prior to the June 14th deadline...

Guest aneliz

If Darla isn't in, it is hard to say. She may have left a pile to go out before she left... but I don't know. It is also possible that she is planning to to them herself when she gets back. Sorry, I can't read her mind.

Guest RageoftheDragon

Aneliz,

Sorry if I missed it above, but are the post July 2nd offers made by mailed out packages as well?

Any of you other waitlistees see a package today? Waiting patiently is easier now that we're waitlisted, eh?

oh wait...no it's not.

RotD

Guest aneliz

In past years, they started calling before mailing packages out somewhere around mid-July. I can't say for sure that ALL post-July 2 offers will be called first, but the later it gets, the more likely it is that you would receive a call in advance of your mailed package. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I am not in London right now and Darla is not in her office. I will try and get some better info for you next week.

Will Western even disclose which THIRD of the waitlist you are on if you call or email them and beg? :P I have a buddy in London who's saving a spot for me in his house, but he needs to know soon.

Guest therealcrackers

No, unfortunately, they will not. They will not disclose any information about your relative position on the waiting list until you either get an offer (positive) or the class is filled (negative). They have been remarkably consistent about that policy.

Archived